VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first of all, does the search work? i kept trying to look up stuff, but nothing is ever found
i am going to buy a 92 passat wagon GL 16v 5 speed. maybe today. i know that this is the most reliable and easier to maintain of the passats engines/trans. the car has 108K on it. looks clean and well taken care of. the only thing that i dont like is the fact that the guy is a smoker
. oh well, i can deal with that. what kind of things should i look out for. i probably will buy it. what kind of things should i check and be on the look out for. i can do most mechanical stuff. ive done a header, cams, brakes, alternator, control arms and other things on my nissans. i know that these cars are easy to work on. so what should i keep an eye out for and what are some recommended things to do at this mileage. thanks. the car is supposed to be a family car for my girlfriend and my new son. i think that i will end up putting the hella de's and suspension on very soon. ill post pics when i get it. ive been waiting for a passat for a while. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Re: couple of questions (JoshLaly)

No matter what the PO stated... change the timing belt. It's not worth putting it off, as the 16v is an interference engine. If that belt brakes, say good buy to your valves and possibly a piston head or two.
Otyher than that, common things to what for are electrical germl;ins.. this car can have its share. Many have been sorted out on here.
Yes the search does work.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: couple of questions (Action Jackson)

any instructions on how to do this on here. i would like to try it myself if it is not too dificult. i just bought the car about 2 hours ago. things i need for the car as of right now: shift boot, cup holder, drivers side mirror and now the timing belt changed. i plan to do some front end work soon, replace headlights and grill, maybe bumper. i think i might change the ceiling also. PO was a smoker and there is some smoke stains. also lowering in march along with some fat wheels. how wide can i go without spacers. i want some deep dish rims. i think that they look the best on the passat. also, is there a difference in the euro bumper. if so, anyone have any pics. thanks guys

1 - 3 of 3 Posts