VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed this sound at idle speed, hot engine (2.0FSI GTI), if you stand outside your car you can hear what sounds like ringing bells, chriplike resonance. Seems to to coming from the area right near the alternator. Of course it doesn't do it all the time. Noticed it in my car, and a friend's GTI too.
I've recorded it with my cell phone voice recorded, sounds louder than it actually is in person See WAV link here, this sound can be heard starting at about the 4 second mark onward.
http://pages.videotron.com/maltese/Chirp.wav
Anyone else hears this? What is it??
Thanks

EDIT:
More noticable with a very hot engine, after some highway use.
SAME SOUND SUBMITTED BY ANOTHER USERR: SSAFFIOTI:
http://pages.videotron.com/maltese/gli-engine.AVI

Modified by MTL06 at 11:13 AM 12-7-2006

Modified by MTL06 at 11:31 AM 12-7-2006

· Banned
53,535 Posts
Re: Cow bells in the engine (MostWanted)

Quote, originally posted by MostWanted »
can you isolate where in the engine its coming from? maybe a pulley?

Or, just maybe a noise created by the engine. Might not be a problem, just a noise.

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Cow bells in the engine (MostWanted)

From near the alternator area, within the engine block. Does not sound like a pully. Like I said, heard it too in a friends GTI.
Put ur ear to the front grill next time a let me know if you can.
Thanks.

· Registered
6,918 Posts
i've got noises at idle. they don't sound right to me, but i've had them ever since i can remember. i don't worry too much about it.
edit: just listened to the file. i have something similar to yours.

Modified by adROCK319 at 1:01 PM 11-27-2006

· Registered
2,167 Posts
I don't have the high pitched/bell sound, but at idle I do have an intermittent "knockity knock knock" sound coming from the drivers side, under the motor. I thought that I heard the same sound in your clip, but either mine is louder, or your have it too and the audio just didn't record well.
The knocking noise sounds a lot like it's coming from the DSG tranny housing. It was very noticeable when I had the splash shield pulled to change the oil. It's not a fuel line rattle, but rather coming from inside the DSG case itself.

Modified by (mkV)Jetta2.0t at 7:54 AM 11-28-2006

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (ssaffioti)

Would you be able to record it? And put this issue to rest:)
I've listened to a 2.0FSI Passat and couldn't hear it, but its noticable in a friend friend's GTI like mine.....even though we all share the same engine.
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.