VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car is a 1997 12v vr6
i'm swapping in a 1999 12v vr6 (mkIII still if that matters)
my understanding is the cps changed mid 1998
does this mean i should use my old upper timing chain cover and cps as i've previously heard? what is the reason for this? is the difference of single versus 4(?) pickup in the cam gear?
if i can use the newer style cps the ecu will be able to understand the change? is there anyway i can use this newer cps?
thanks guys

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Re: cps change questions (JarrettJettaVR6)

i would think that you would need to run the sensors that are compatible with your current ecm I think you just answered your own question

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: cps change questions (Angrygilmore)

Quote, originally posted by Angrygilmore »
i would think that you would need to run the sensors that are compatible with your current ecm I think you just answered your own question

well i know i will reuse my sensor, the new longblock doesn't come with sensors so it's what i've got..just wondering more if this sensor needs to be used in the old upper timing chain cover, or if the new timing chain upper cover can accept the old sensor, they look different
also wondering if the sensor is ecu dependent and id use my old one or if it's engine dependent and i would need a new cps sensor for the later year engine

·
Registered
20,571 Posts
Re: cps change questions (JarrettJettaVR6)

The Mk3 sensor is the same for 96-99.
021 906 433C

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: cps change questions (Eric D)

Quote, originally posted by Eric D »
The Mk3 sensor is the same for 96-99.
021 906 433C

my understanding is the change was made in 98
http://www.germanautoparts.com.../45/2

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here is the 97 current setup..note the plug is facing up and the bolt location

this is the 99 motor sensor mounting location...not this differing bolt location
today was my first time getting to trying the sensor in the new upper timing chain cover and the sensor plug would face down and not clear the coil pack..from this i believe that i would need to reuse my old upper timing chain cover as i once heard but was simply looking for a bit more knowledge from those that may have run into this problem

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Re: (JarrettJettaVR6)

avoid complication
use your original upper timing cover and sensor...just make sure the magnetic pick up on the cam sprocket is oriented the same on the old motor to the new motor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts