VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way to Florida, I ran on an average between 75-85mph on the highway. When in the top of Florida (outside temp around 80F), I had the A/C. My coolant temp guage was hovering between the two dots, closer to the second. When I pulled into a rest stop, I had to make a quick right-left turn. As I pulled into a parking spot, I could see steam comming out from underneith the hood, by the resevior. I popped the hood to see that the "pressure release" in the cap had blown, leaving a trail of antifreeze. I topped off the tank with water and continued on with the windows down and the temp normal (around the first line after the thick line). When I got to where we were staying, I hosed out both radiators and the A/C evaporator, and added RedLine Water Wetter to the coolant. Now, it will run just shy of the first dot (in 70-75F weather) and just shy of the line b/w the two dots (in 80-85F) with the A/C on, no problem with the "pressure release". Is this too hot? Why did it spew?
Here is a pic of the guage:

http://www.geocities.com/cq20v/images/cqtach.jpg

[Modified by blkaudicq, 9:16 PM 4-6-2002]

·
Banned
7,292 Posts
Re: CQ overheating? (blkaudicq)

Are your radiator fans running?
One of my radiator fans stopped working and when the car was not moving, it would overheat.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: CQ overheating? (TabulaRasa)

Yeah, the fan works. When the A/c is on, it turns on automatically and stays running. No overheating light ever comes on.

·
Registered
22,318 Posts

Does the fan run when the AC is not running? Was the radiator hot? The coolant reservoir is conected directly to the engine, so if your thermostat has gone bad, it will not let the coolant circulate properly.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: CQ overheating? (PerL)

The fan operates properly, the thermostat has always operated propery, this is the first time it has ever ran that hot. It runs fine now w/o problems. This is the first time I have had it in 80F+ weather, I just got the car at the end of August. How hot other CQ/ 90s run at this temp? BTW: Oil temp was around 140-150C the whole time.

·
Banned
7,292 Posts

More of a curiosity question here:
On the 20v I5, do the fans run all the time or just when the A/C is on or when it gets hot enough and gets triggered by the thermostat?
I heard what I thought to be the fans on a 5000 running once even with the engine off.
I'm pretty sure the 5000 wasn't a turbo.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Re: CQ overheating? (TabulaRasa)

If you have defrost turned on the climate control, the fan is on. If you are in auto, it is more likely to come on (different parameters for fan operation) than if you use the "Econ" setting on the climate control. I use econ year-yound since A)I live in WA, and B)my air conditioning has no freon anyway!
The fan kicks on when I hit the first hash mark above the "normal" mark usually. If it is not getting cooler, I hit the defrost button to keep the fan on constantly

Hope that made sense

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: CQ overheating? (billzcat1)

billzcat1,that is the same way my fans run. They also turn on whenever the A/C is on (in Bi-lev, Auto, Def; if the outside temp is above~32F). Anyone run their A/C in the summer? How hot does the car get?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts

The fan should run at both low and high speeds, perhaps your low speed fuseable link was broken.
My 20vt will get up to the first thick mark after the first thin mark most of the time in city driving, and will stay at either the thin one, or the thick one in highway driving, but it won't get hotter than that. Yes, the fan will come on after the car has been turned off if the engine is hot enough (which isn't very hot).

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: CQ overheating? (Fusion)

Doesn't anyone use their A/c on the highway??

·
Registered
1,780 Posts

yes, i do. The car seems to run fine without overheating or getting that hot. In city driving, for me at least, is when the car will be getting hot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts