VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was rotating my tires over the weekend and while the tires were off I decided to check out the brake pads. Well lo and behold, both front pads have these nasty cracks starting from the top and going about halfway down the side. The brake feel is still okay and I have no idea how long they've been like this. Funny thing is I just had it serviced at the dealer and they said the brakes were "okay", even though the rears are about dead (a whole different issue).
I have the original stock pads, stock rotors, car has 20k miles, and have done a few track events.
I have a feeling this isn't normal, is it? Is there any chance these will fall apart and I'll go screaming off a cliff or something? Is this caused by too high temps at the track?
obligatory pic:

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Re: cracked front pads? (tyub)

1ST things 1st...PARK THAT CAR UNTIL YOU FIX THIS !?!??!?!?!?!? yes this is a SERIOUS situation you are playing with. You are endangering not only yourself but everyone on the road and anyone you take in your vehicle. Now onto the cause I'd say you hit the nail on the head when you asked did the track days do this...somehow i don't think VW had solo 1 track day in mind when they devised a pad for a OE application. I'd get a pad more suited to track/street driving in mind(ie hawk hp, poterferfield rs4, ferodo ds2500) or get a seperate set of rotors and pads one set for track use and 1 set for street use. Personally i use the ferodo ds2500 on my 2003 gti and after bedding them in properly they work great. The pagid OE replacement's sucked at best, and thats why i purchased the ferodo. Yes they are dusty and no i don't care i wash "sexy" once a week.

·
Registered
856 Posts

Yup. Cracked pads are certainly a problem. If you don't tell them about the track days, the dealer may cover them under warranty.
I also suggest getting another pad/rotor set-up for track days.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: cracked front pads? (MoTown-VW)

It's my only car so I can't stop driving. Fortunately my commute is on local roads and I never get over 45 mph. I'll be taking it super easy but you're right, I need to replace these ASAP. I was thinking of replacing it with either the ferodo or porterfield r4s since they probably are able to withstand some track usage.
Is there a big advantage running a seperate track and street setup other than being able to using a pure racing pad? It seems like some of the more aggressive pads (ferodo 2500, mintex c-tech, r4s, hp+) are good compromise between street & track and won't fall apart like the stock ones.
Would it be better to upgrade to a big brake kit or am I going to run into the same issues if i still use an aggressive street pad?

·
Registered
8,134 Posts

Quote, originally posted by tyub »
It's my only car so I can't stop driving.

Well, eventually, something will stop you from driving -- the truck in front of you, the tree you hit because you cannot slow for a curve, the building on the other side of the kid you just ran over ... this really is a safety issue!

Fortunately my commute is on local roads and I never get over 45 mph.

I doubt you'd like hitting a tree at 45mph.
... but you're right, I need to replace these ASAP.

So why are you going to continue to drive? At least get a cheap fix (DYI, local brakes shop "pad slap") before you decide on a performance upgrade ....
Please ... read the last line of my sig ...

Modified by f1forkvr6 at 8:18 PM 7-1-2003

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Re: cracked front pads? (f1forkvr6)

Like i mentioned get them fixed ASAP. Heck try the dealer without mention of the track day you might get luckey. Or get some cheap generic something at least it's a non cracked pad. The advantage of using a set of race pads with a separate set of rotors is that pads bedd or wear into the rotors they are used on. When you change back and forth between street pads and race pads both pads never really bedd or wear to the grooves of the rotor because of the constant pad change. I'm by no means wealthy, but the way i drive my car the brakes are very important to me and i've already changed the pads 2 times because i didnt like the stock pads, and didnt like the pagids.....braking is not something to joke around about. Yes as many other who race will tell you as long as the pads are kept at their proper operating temp (not overheating them) via enouhg air to keep them cool just a pad swap will work WAY more then most ppl realize. Lot's of racing classes do not allow a rotor size increase so all you can do is braided lines, fliud , pads and run extra cooling ducts to them if the need is present, and PLENTY of ppl have used this combo to win many podium finishes.....in all sincerity even if it's get a cash advance on your paycheck or borrow from a friend, fix your brakes so you and others are safe

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: cracked front pads? (RABIDRABBIT1983)

Alright, I picked up some el cheapo pads from kragen and replaced the front pads tonight. The dealer was further away and required an appointment, uuggh.
The old pads were pretty screwed, cracks all over the place but amazingly didn't crumble when I took them out.
Thank you guys for helping to advert a potentially dangerous situation.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Now to find a good replacement pad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts