VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hairline crack in my radiator . It is in the plastic between the top hose and the return from the reservior. Can I patch this or do I need a new radiator. Leaking alittle but not real bad. 1990 cabby 1.8

· Registered
22,448 Posts
Re: cracked radiator (brico.207)

You can clean the area really well and use J-B Weld to mend it. However that is a pressurized area and the only real fix is a new radiator. Be sure that when you order your replacement you get a a/c unit.

· Registered
819 Posts

You'd be surprised at how economical a new Cabriolet radiator really is. I paid just over a C-note -tax included- for a new cooler for my '86. Plus, they arrive clean and that lowered my ops temps. Start saving some coin. Replacing the plastic/aluminum radiator is a win-win.

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: cracked radiator (montmil)

Is therea difference between 1990 radiator with A/C and the radiator w/o A/C. My local parts places are only showing them W/O A/C.Napa, Autozone& Advane auto parts.

· Registered
22,448 Posts

yes a radiator that isn't for a/c is thinner.....
Don't go to napa... Try radiatorexpress.com or a good radiator shop.
Radiator express delivered it to my front door about 2 hours after I ordered it.. Seems it was local to my area.

· Registered
202 Posts
Re: cracked radiator (montmil)

I had the same problem I JB WELDED it and worked for awhile went on a trip and it blew from the pressure and I was stuck had to clean it on the hwy and repair it got to a shop and had to let it sit there until my order for a new one came in go ahead and replace it that will be the best thing to do and safe no more worries. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.