VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Please help - for the MKVIII R - MT or DSG FTW?

• 6MT

Votes: 25 37.3%
  • DSG

Votes: 42 62.7%
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK yes, another one of those threads - but who else can i ask ??? I've been down this road and have been a default MT guy in VDUBs...3 GTIs, 1 R (2017). Full disclosure, for the first time every, I drove a 2019 DSG (and a 2019 MT) back to back - and was so surprised at how much fun the DSG was. The MT is a blast to drive - no denying this, but this is daily and I'm getting, dare I say, "older" ? That said - my biggest surprise (just pointed out to me after my order process) was the lower torque rating in the 8 and the seemingly mismatched clutch in such a masterpiece.

I'm picking up a certified 2019 DSG R this week - but if the exact certified car was MT - I'd probably still be picking it up. My main point is the DSG wasn't even a consideration - UNTIL - I drove one and realize it was pretty damn fun. I'm a former S4 (B7 / B*) and 335 (E90) auto guy - - but have only owned MTs in the VW segment.

So all of the general debates aside - - in this iteration of the R - is the DSG really the better choice?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Objectively, we have the numbers and therefore know the answer. The answer is the DSG. I ordered the 6MT.

SUBJECTIVELY, however, is a much different story. There is no right or wrong answer. I quoted Van Wilder the other day, but today I think the proper lines are from “Thank You For Smoking”.

Nick Naylor: OK, let's say that you're defending chocolate, and I'm defending vanilla. Now if I were to say to you: 'Vanilla is the best flavor ice-cream', you'd say...

Joey Naylor: No, chocolate is.

Nick Naylor: Exactly, but you can't win with this argument... so, I'll ask you: so you think chocolate is the end all and the all of ice cream, do you?

Joey Naylor: It's the best ice cream, I wouldn't order any other.

Nick Naylor: Oh! So it's all chocolate for you is it?

Joey Naylor: Yes, chocolate is all I need.

Nick Naylor: Well, I need more than chocolate, and for that matter I need more than vanilla. I believe that we need freedom. And choice when it comes to our ice cream, and that Joey Naylor, that is the definition of liberty.

Joey Naylor: But that's not what we're talking about

Nick Naylor: Ah! But that's what I'm talking about.

Joey Naylor: ...but you didn't prove that vanilla was the best...

Nick Naylor: I didn't have to. I proved that you're wrong, and if you're wrong I'm right.

Joey Naylor: But you still didn't convince me

Nick Naylor: It's that… I'm not after you. I'm after them (all people around)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol - - this is always a fun debate to have with R folks. mind - DSG - - heart - - MT??

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
...and lower cost to tune later (i.e., no clutch upgrade).
Is it though?

DSG $1,400 initial cost + TCU tune ($650, randomly chose Unitronics pricing) = $2,050 CDN

Keeping in mind at Stage I MK8 R 6MT will likely toast a clutch, it will likely be the first mod you have to do...however, I can handle 575 ft-lbs with my Ringer Racer and paid around $900 CDN for it. After labour and OEM FW, it pretty much puts you in the same ball park as buying a DSG and needing that TCU tune when you start playing with the engine.

To handle that amount of torque with the DSG you need another $2,000 US in just clutch packs alone, no clue what labour is but I know its not cheap.

I still voted for the DSG though. It's faster shifting, better performance, as mentioned can share it with family. Down side is the driving experience that suffers, but being stuck in long weekend traffi has sealed an automatic for me as next transmission.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
If VW has not fixed the issue with aftermarket clutch pressures causing crank walk, then DSG seems to be the better way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was fixed near the start of the 2018's, I got the first 2018 without it, but thankfully live in the same city of one of the only known shops that have the fix for it (always avoid being first lol)

·
Registered
'08 A4 Avant, '09 A4, '16 R, '18 Atlas
344 Posts
Stock form: 6MT for fun factor and save a few hundred dollars.

If tuning: DSG will cost you less in the long run as you'll need to upgrade the 6MT clutch to hold the torque. Fun factor still in favor of 6MT.

Also, this "may" be the last generation R offered in MT as VW is rumored to kill MT cars by 2030.

·
Registered
2007 B6 Passat VR6 4Motion sedan
1,795 Posts
☝trying to genuinely understand that take. Owning a 6MT Golf R (which I do) does not prevent me from owning a dual motor Tesla Model Y, which upon acceleration pushes you into your seat and makes you feel like this...

View attachment 125314
DSG can shift faster than any human. I know the R isn't the fastest car out there. Simply put, find me someone who can push in a clutch pedal, change gear, and release the clutch pedal in approximately 8 milliseconds.

·
Registered
2016 Golf R, 2001 Cabrio VR6
914 Posts
☝trying to genuinely understand that take. Owning a 6MT Golf R (which I do) does not prevent me from owning a dual motor Tesla Model Y, which upon acceleration pushes you into your seat and makes you feel like this...

View attachment 125314
Well, exactly. You are proving my point. People buy the DSG because it's quick. It's 2021. You shouldn't be buying a car with an internal combustion engine and a multispeed transmission if you just care about being quick.

·
Registered
'08 A4 Avant, '09 A4, '16 R, '18 Atlas
344 Posts
Yes. When I say "both" I'm saying that I can own a 6MT vehicle and either a DSG or EV with lightening quick shift and/or acceleration capabilities... it's not a binary or mutually exclusive. Not biased for or against either transmission offering

·
Registered
2016 Golf R, 2001 Cabrio VR6
914 Posts
Yes. When I say "both" I'm saying that I can own a 6MT vehicle and either a DSG or EV with lightening quick shift and/or acceleration capabilities... it's not a binary or mutually exclusive. Not biased for or against either transmission offering
You can own a firetruck and chicken coop for all I care, but my point is that the argument "DSG is faster" is dead because it's still slower than an EV that isn't much further away in price. A garage with a 6MT and an EV makes some sense, but a DSG and an EV in the same garage means you just have a slow effortless car and a fast effortless car. Isn't that what you just said? You could own a 6MT and a DSG or EV.

ICEs are slow, embrace it and get the 6MT, or just save yourself some money in ownership costs and get an EV if you really care about speed foremost.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts