VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question, until I do an E-Spec Cconversion on my Jetta, what bulbs does everybody use. I'm not crazy about running those blue ones.
What about higher wattage bulbs, going from 45/65W to 85/105W. Do I need to run a relay for those or will the stock system be able to handle the extra load. Any body else running high wattage bulbs on a stock harness??

·
Registered
23,231 Posts
Re: Crappy NA Spec Headlights (epik22)

quote:[HR][/HR]Quick question, until I do an E-Spec Cconversion on my Jetta, what bulbs does everybody use. I'm not crazy about running those blue ones.
What about higher wattage bulbs, going from 45/65W to 85/105W. Do I need to run a relay for those or will the stock system be able to handle the extra load. Any body else running high wattage bulbs on a stock harness??
[HR][/HR]​
i used 55/100s with my ricey blue lights before they burned out

even with the extra power, I still think my ambers preform and look better http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Re: Crappy NA Spec Headlights (Gaki)

I think Sylvania makes some kind of new 9004 bulb that has higher output from the same wattage. I saw them at the local Target over the weekend. Until you get e-codes, there's really not a whole heck of a lot you can do to improve the lighting because no matter what bulb you put in, the lens is going to throw the beam all over the place.

T.C.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Re: Crappy NA Spec Headlights (collins_tc)

quote:[HR][/HR]I think Sylvania makes some kind of new 9004 bulb that has higher output from the same wattage. I saw them at the local Target over the weekend. Until you get e-codes, there's really not a whole heck of a lot you can do to improve the lighting because no matter what bulb you put in, the lens is going to throw the beam all over the place.

T.C.[HR][/HR]​
Yep the NA Spec Pattern is blaw. Must upgrade to E-Codes

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: Crappy NA Spec Headlights (Sebeck1)

Before I installed the Euro Vento lights, I had 80/100's in my NA lights for close to two years without any fuses blowing, or any other issues.
Right now, even with the Euro lights I am running 80/100's and I have had no problems.

·
Registered
3 old cars
4,337 Posts
Re: Crappy NA Spec Headlights (collins_tc)

quote:[HR][/HR]I think Sylvania makes some kind of new 9004 bulb that has higher output from the same wattage...[HR][/HR]​
I've got these bulbs in my car right now and they're excellent. I would highly recommend these (with the stock NA headlamps). They light up the road much better and I rarely get flashed for them. I do forget their exact name, but they're the Sylvania high-output version as TC said. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Re: Crappy NA Spec Headlights (MkIII)

Phillips makes some nice bulbs, and http://www.powerbulbs.com can set you up with a nice set that will increase lighting for a very reasonable price! Oh, and they have free shipping and all orders (for a limited time) come with a free set of fancy amber bulbs for your foglights
My bulbs from them should be coming in this week

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Re: Crappy NA Spec Headlights (Zwoobah)

Quote: [suggestion - stick with amber lights of the proper wattage. The blue or "hyperwhite" ones will look cooler, but have a worse output. The higher voltage ones may fry your housings or wiring.]
When you say "Amber" do you mean they will look orange like my turn signals, or the stock yellowish white?

[Modified by VR6 Mk3, 10:02 PM 11-26-2001]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.