VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

· Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thats right, post up the weird strange wacky wild crazy and just down right abnormal engines. Explain if you want or just post up and ask about it.
I want to see what we can dig up. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
'01 GTI VR6, '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0, '04 Mazda 3
6,751 Posts
Re: (jeff1234)

It's not a car engine, but I'd nominate the R-4360 Wasp engine. 28 cylinders, 71 liters, supercharged and turbocharged, and 4,300 hp.

· Registered
11,353 Posts
Re: (inurb)

Quote, originally posted by inurb »
This was a really great concept that never made it because of big oil lobbying.

this would totally work, i don't care what anyone says!

· Registered
'01 GTI VR6, '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0, '04 Mazda 3
6,751 Posts
Re: Crazy engines thread. (gnavs)

That Wasp engine was basically the last in the line of WWII-era piston aircraft engines produced by Pratt and Whitney. The jet engine essentially took over after it was produced. I suppose you could consider it to be the furthest evolution of the piston aircraft engine.

· Registered
9,719 Posts
Re: (inurb)

Quote, originally posted by inurb »
This was a really great concept that never made it because of big oil lobbying.

lolzzzz just as hard as the first time i saw this, totally unexpected

· Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (AutoEuphoria)

wow that image is way huge.
johns92jetta posted up about the Napier deltic engine, its a ship and train engine that has three cylinders with a piston at each end. here:

these things are very torquey, but also so complicated in order to service the engine you just simply get sent a new one!

I want more explanations!

· Registered
9,719 Posts
Re: (Tetzuoe)

Quote, originally posted by Tetzuoe »
wow that image is way huge.
johns92jetta posted up about the Napier deltic engine, its a ship and train engine that has three cylinders with a piston at each end. here:

these things are very torquey, but also so complicated in order to service the engine you just simply get sent a new one!

I want more explanations!

how did they consolidate the 3 crankshafts? you'd think they would have to all be rotating at the same speed...or would they rotate together naturally?
this thing is blowing my mind!!!1!ONE1!!

· Registered
11,626 Posts
Re: (BTM)

Quote, originally posted by BTM »

how did they consolidate the 3 crankshafts? you'd think they would have to all be rotating at the same speed...or would they rotate together naturally?
this thing is blowing my mind!!!1!ONE1!!

There is a huge gear set at the back that takes all 3 cranks into one.
I wonder how hard it is to time?

More.

· Registered
296 Posts
Re: (Tetzuoe)

I don't know what the hell it was called. It was on Monster Garage last night. A bunch of grease monkey artists made a rocket bike. The rocket was simply a large 'trombone' shaped tube. It ran on propane & gasoline. Went slow as hell, but lit up red hot, and spewed 20ft flames out the back.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.