VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I hit a bump, even a small one, I get a high-pitched rattle from the center of my dashboard that sounds just like a cricket chirp. I'll bring it up when I visit the dealer for a courtesy check-up, but has this happened to anyone else? Was it diagnosed and repaired?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Re: (Boosted2003!)

I just hit the big thousand mile mark and I may be developing a cricket or two as well. The sound your talking about
...... don't have yet. I have noticed a few in the door just like talked about here all the time.
I just hope the car maintains the nice feel & quietness as of now... I've experienced much worst in the past with my AE and the old school gti.
Chris

·
Registered
446 Posts
I just hit the big thousand mile mark and I may be developing a cricket or two as well. The sound your talking about
...... don't have yet. I have noticed a few in the door just like talked about here all the time.
I just hope the car maintains the nice feel & quietness as of now... I've experienced much worst in the past with my AE and the old school gti.
Chris
I have a cricket in mine as well, it is actually coming from my drivers seat.. annoys the hell out of me but its intermittent... had the dealership check it out and they claimed they greased the rails of the seat or something but I noticed no difference.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have a pretty bad rattle coming from the center of my dashboard. Happens over bumps and the rough part of the freeway. It's really annoying, going to get it looked at when I find the time.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am also having a similar problem I took it to the dealer and the tech did not want to take the dashboard apart. They said that if they took it apart that I may create a whole new set of rattles.
It really is annoying I really don't mind most rattles but this sound is pretty annoying. To make matters worse it only happens sporadically about 60% of the time. When I took it to the service dept they could not hear the sound. I rode along with the tech to try and recreate... No Luck... :mad:

In my case, I took the trim off and made sure all the bolts were tight on the radio as well as the vent and it still makes the noise.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the same cricket in my car. Annoys the hell out of me. In fact, I have an appointment next week to get that fixed. In my case, I have located the source of the noise: If I press on the light grey plastic trim between the steering wheel and the radio, I can hit bumps as hard as I want and the cricket stays shut.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have the same cricket in my car. Annoys the hell out of me. In fact, I have an appointment next week to get that fixed. In my case, I have located the source of the noise: If I press on the light grey plastic trim between the steering wheel and the radio, I can hit bumps as hard as I want and the cricket stays shut.
WOW same here, let me know what you find out at the dealership.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
This may be unrelated to the sound that you are talking about, but in my MKIV GTI the VIN plate on the front of the dash used to rattle like hell, but it was more on the drivers side. Anyways, I used a credit card to push a small folded piece of paper between the plate and dash and the sound was gone.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Wow, I think this is exactly what I've been experiencing! I made a video of it a while ago. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't reproduce it as it does seem to be intermittent.

It is SO annoying. If anyone has any luck getting it fixed, please post the solution :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow, I think this is exactly what I've been experiencing! I made a video of it a while ago. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't reproduce it as it does seem to be intermittent.

It is SO annoying. If anyone has any luck getting it fixed, please post the solution :)
Yep, that's my squeek... Have you tried pressing hard on the plastic trim between the wheel and the radio to see if it stops the noise?
I'll post the results of my visit to the dealer next week.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yep, that's my squeek... Have you tried pressing hard on the plastic trim between the wheel and the radio to see if it stops the noise?
I'll post the results of my visit to the dealer next week.
Yup, pressing on the dash trim works, on either side of the steering wheel, although better between the radio and wheel like you suggested. I'm contemplating taking the trim out to see if the noise continues, but I'm not sure how to remove it safely.

Any report back from your dealer visit?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yup, pressing on the dash trim works, on either side of the steering wheel, although better between the radio and wheel like you suggested. I'm contemplating taking the trim out to see if the noise continues, but I'm not sure how to remove it safely.

Any report back from your dealer visit?
Car's been in since yesterday morning... Got a call yesterday afternoon saying they were still puzzled by the noise and were investigating further. At least they gave the job to their best trained technician on MK6s and during the road test we could hear the cricket loud and clear (usually, cars just stop making funny noises in presence of a technician to make you look stupid!).
I'll report back when I pick it up, hopefully later today.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've been able to take the radio and the vent above it out, but don't see anything out of the ordinary that could cause the rattle. Hopefully someone's dealer will figure it out. Mine will be going to the dealer in a couple weeks to get it looked at as I finally have a free day.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't have good news... the car spent 2 full days at the dealership, the technician worked 7 hours on my dash, removed bits, went for road tests 5 or 6 times, put bits back, tried to lube or put felt on parts and still couldn't fix it... Problem is fully acknowledged (nothing worst that a dealer that turns you around saying "they all do that, that's normal") but for now, they are just out of ideas I guess. Service manager wasn't there when I got my car back but I'll call him to make sure the problem is forwarded to Volks so hopefully a TSB will eventually be issued.
In the meantime, I'll try and play with shims and small wedges to see if I can temporarily at least shut this damn cricket... drives me nuts.
Please if anyone experiences a different outcome than mine, share it; my dealer appeared truly sorry about the whole situation and would take my car back in if they had some indications on how to fix it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.