VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Re: crossflow head on PG block? (Fedawg)

Quote, originally posted by Fedawg »
how difficult to do this , and what are the problems i might run into?

Waste of time in my opinion. PG block is the Corrado G60 block right? It has really short rods, horrible rod/stroke ratio. You'd be better off getting a whole ABA motor.
Edit: Nevermind. If all you want to do is swap heads, then go for it. I kinda forgot you're probably still running the G60 supercharger.

Modified by Angular at 11:10 PM 2-14-2004

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes it is rado g60 block , i want to turbocharge my g60 and looking for alternate ways to gain power besides just upping the boost

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Re: (Fedawg)

yes it is rado g60 block , i want to turbocharge my g60 and looking for alternate ways to gain power besides just upping the boost

That would be called displacement!
Get yourself a ABA bottom end and slap a 16V head on it (8:1 CR) and boost the living crap out of it. Get some big injectors and a chip from SNS. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
5,765 Posts
Re: (Fedawg)

will my 02a bolt up to an aba block ? how much can aba pistons handle?

Yes your tranny will bolt up. A few people are running 15psi on stock aba bottom ends. Killa is running 20psi on a 16v/aba combo.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Why in the HELL would he want to use a 2.0L headgasket?
The holes in the gasket need to match the cylinder deck on the block, not what used to fit the head.
I have a ABA head on my 8V block, using a G60 Elring headgasket.
Hint, put some RTV on the headgasket on both sides around the front oil drainback. There is a mismatch there between the block and the 2.0 head. Some gaskets this wont work on(cheapass Felpro for one) but if you use an Elring or dealer gasket it will work fine.
20psi will be nothing for his G60 bottom end either, plus he already has it.

·
Banned
5,765 Posts
Re: (BoostedOne)

The reason he would use the aba gasket is so he doesnt have to use RTV ghetto rig around the front oil passage. Hey, look at that... you learned something. Dont go sprouting like you know everything because you did it a different way.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts

I've used an ABA gasket with a 1.8 and a CF head a couple times. No problems whatsoever.

·
Banned
5,765 Posts
Re: (BUNNYLOVE)

Gotta watch out when using "CF" to describe cyl. heads could mean counter flow or cross flow.

But, I have built a few 1.8l's running x-flow heads, using aba gaskets running w/o problems.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
The reason you need to RTV the hole has nothing to do with the gasket. Its because there is no material under the gasket on the block.
The drainback on the head extends over the edge of the block. A G60 gasket COVERS this area, but the G60 AND 2.0 Gasket will BOTH be unsuppored on the bottom side, hence the need for a tiny bit of RTV.
I have a MLS 2.0 gasket, and a 1.8 gasket, so dont give me any sh*t about spouting off about stuff I don't know about.
The G60 gasket may have been fine without the RTV, but I just chose to put it on there for good measure.
What does mismatched hole sizes to to squish in the chamber?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts

I am doing this right now on my rabbit and I am having the head welded up to work with the block as well as a P&P. I will be using an OEM g60 HG.

·
Banned
5,765 Posts

The fiber G60 headgasket Ive seen are like all other 1.8l gaskets. They dont block the hole properly like the aba one. You make it out like using the aba gasket is some horrible thing. Using RTV sounds like more of a ghetto rig to me.
With squish area, do you think its going to affect it that much? How many people have stacked gaskets and make just as much power as people that have pistons and the "proper" squish area? Plenty! I dont think a larger bore gasket is going to f*ck it up like you make it sound like it will.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Re: (GTibunny16v)

Also, I must be slow today, but I can't figure out WTF RTV is? It is bugging me, and I am sure when somebody tells me, I am gonna kick myself. Thx.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts