VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this is my first post, I used to be on alot of DSM sites so I'm used the forum rules about searching and couldn't really find one that pertains to my specific problem...I had a 99 GST, but totaled it and wanted something slightly less high schoolish to drive around.
I just bought my 2001 Jetta GLX and at the dealership the horn didn't work. They took the steering column apart to replace the horn and, well, the horn works now...but to my dismay on the freeway the cruise doesn't work.. I turn it to the on position on the left stick (not on the steering wheel) and I hit the set button, In the manual it says there should be a light on the dash saying "Cruise" but there isn't.
I think they may have disconnected the cruise feature while hooking up the horn, Is there an easy way for me to check this? And I checked the fuse #5 for cruise and it tests Good so it's not a fuse problem....
Any suggestions?

· Registered
3,227 Posts
Re: Cruise Control on MKIV Kapoot (v_GLX_dub)

I have a 2001 as well with cruise, and I have no cruise light at all. My model just didnt get it, but I suspect yours should be the same... with no light.
You say, mechanically speaking, you have no response when you slide it to the left and press the set button? It might be as simple as thenm not plugging in a harness in the colum when they were done, but since you just bought it, I would imagine they owe it to you to fix the problem.

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hahaha, thanks, I originally wanted to go euro, bc they're more "simple" but, price was a big point for me, and have just since been able to afford it, thank god.
Yeah, I would say they at least owe it to me to check it over, but they're all the way up in Gran Prairie, and I live in temple, its a good 2 hour drive. I might try and get in there and see if anythings unplugged.
And yeah, i slide it to the left and push the set button yet the mph drop as if I didnt set it.
I'll letcha know if I find anything out when I take a look under there.

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
******UPDATE*****
Good News!
I went in to get the latest recall done, and if you guys didn't know, my cruise has never worked for me. I left after getting the update and the cruise still didn't work, I assumed that it wouldnt.
Sooo, I went back and said "Hey man, my cruise isn't working after that ECM update you guys did" he took the car again for about 10 min. and he comes back and says "Sorry about that man! We forgot to check the box on the tool for the cruise option"
I drove it afterwards and Cruise works like a charm!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.