VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Re: Cruise control out? (kaj2003)

If it stopped working all of the sudden, I would guess it is electrical. Have you tried playing with the switch, on the turn signal stalk. Also there should be switches on your pedals. If these are bad, this will also allow the CC to not work.
Does your gas "catch" when you hit the switch? On my A2 Jetta the cruise will make the gas pedal "catch" but but will not hold it. The problem ended up being a small tear in one of the CC vacuum lines. If your gas pedal does not "catch" at all then it's probably something electrical, unless you have a vacuum line disconnected, or a large hole in it. Hope that helps, and good luck. Post back with an update.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Re: Cruise control out? (Brett92)

Mine was working last summer, but it would require a few tries before it would be able to hold the petal down. As soon as it got cold the problem got worse. Sometimes it wouldn't even catch the pedal at all. Some time in December Joey picked me up a used pump at a junk yard. Since then my CC has been great. Grabs the petal very quickly and accelerates much faster. The best part is that the pump was free! The guy at the junk yard only charged our friend for a dashboard ($20) and a few other things. All the stuff that Joey got for his car and mine were freebies!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Re: Cruise control out? (Ken93P-GLX)

From what I've gathered from reading (as mine doesnt work either) is that its one of those fun things that could be x, y or z. As was mentioned, the vacume lines, the pump, the catches on the pedals, the fuses, the control module, the stalk, or just general wiring gremlins.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Re: Cruise control out? (MP3DUB)

I can share my experience with cruise control on my '92 B3... BTW it's a 16V with auto trannie....
The nice old lady who owned the car previously told me that CC was working sometime, and sometime not. So i tried it, it was not working, and sometime it works... But Here's what I found after my little and personal study of the system...
When it works, it works great, gas pedal goes straight down and hold the speed perfectly. Since my car is an automatic, i only have a pedal switch on the brake pedal. When the cruise was not working, i tried to pull the pedal gently with my foot... ET VOILÀ, the cruise was working again. So my pedal switch was not working accuratly. Now I know that, so everytime i try to use the Cruise and it'S not working, I only pull the pedal for about 5 milimeters, and it works. But I found that the desactivation of the Cruise with brake pedal is VERY sensitive. If I even only touch the pedal, the Cruise desactivate. As per my Bentley, it seems that the Cruise control pedal switch is not the same than the Brake light switch. Cruise switch is supposed to br Vacuum switch. When weather will become warmer (still under zero in Quebec...), I'll checl if there is an adjustment on that switch... So maybe you can try this !! I'll keep you posted with the results of my further investigation...
Anyone has the same problem????

·
Registered
450 Posts
Re: Cruise control out? (Passat2.0Canada)

I just replaced my brake master cylinder and removed the clutch master cylinder at the same time. When I was done, no cruise control. Did some checking and found that there is a switch (vacuum and electrical all in one) for the brake pedal and one for the clutch pedal. I got back under and found that the clutch switch had been disturbed during the removal. The switch has a spring like clip to hold it in place, so I adjusted it so the vacuum part was closed with the pedal in the "up" position. Tested and now it works fine. This may help those with the touchy pedal problem, as it only takes a few minutes to re-adjust.

[Modified by starrd, 4:31 AM 3-21-2003]

[Modified by starrd, 4:33 AM 3-21-2003]

·
Registered
94 Posts
Re: Cruise control out? (starrd)

Ok, if I understand correctly, you can just remove the clip, re-position the switch, and it will be fine???
Thanks for the input, I tought there was a separate vacuum switch and a electrical switch..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.