VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.geotab.com/americas-quietest-routes/

What’s the least-traveled route in America?
Find the quietest routes in your state and get ready to hit the open road.

Top 10:
#1: Alaska - State Route 11
#2: Utah - US Route 50
#3: Maine - US Route 201
#4: Arizona - US Route 160
#5: California - State Route 139
#6: Virginia - State Route 90003
#7: Louisiana - US Route 65
#8: Wyoming - US Route 212
#9: New Hampshire - US Route 2
#10: Pennsylvania - State Route 32
They list a recommendation for every state. Driven on any of them? Have your own suggestion?

·
Millennial
German crap
23,721 Posts
212 in Wyoming and Montana is where the Beartooth highway is located. One of, if not the best, scenic roads in the continental US.

One thing, though - the writer definitely has never been there. This road is always packed for the few months of the year it’s open on that particular stretch, for good reason.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I agree Beartooth is incredibly scenic, but when I drove it last there was tons of construction with major delays, making it hardly quiet. That was a while ago though, so I imagine it is much better now.

Drove much of 201 in ME this summer. I agree with its designation of scenic and quiet. We were tromping around Maine looking for moose. No moose found, but plenty of nice scenery was seen.

·
Millennial
German crap
23,721 Posts
I agree Beartooth is incredibly scenic, but when I drove it last there was tons of construction with major delays, making it hardly quiet. That was a while ago though, so I imagine it is much better now.
Yeah, it’s a crap shoot. You probably hit it when they were doing rock slide repair. There haven’t been any major projects now for a few years. (Been hitting the road for the last 15 years now)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
The MN route is probably one of the most boring areas in the state. However, I wouldn't mind driving it for giggles.

I've been on portions of the WI route. I have no doubt that would be a fantastic drive.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
the most beautiful, most deserted, best road I've driven is the Haines Highway, particularly the Canadian portion

my actual photos:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The MN route is probably one of the most boring areas in the state. However, I wouldn't mind driving it for giggles.

I've been on portions of the WI route. I have no doubt that would be a fantastic drive.

My favorite road in MN is Route 1 from the lake to Ely. Its quiet, beautiful, and really fun to drive.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I440 at Wade Ave in Raleigh. So peaceful, you’ll be stuck there so long you can listen to two Pink Floyd albums.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I've driven Route 2 in NH many times.

Beautiful stretch of road and far enough North to be away from most of the Tourists (Mostly used for people traveling to Santa's Village)

It's also the same route where those motorcyclists were killed over the summer by the guy towing a trailer and driving drunk/under the influence.

Another nice stretch in NH is Route 16 North from Gorham to Errol. Great stretch of road if you want to see Moose. Then at Errol turn left and go West on 26 to Dixville Notch. nice curvy well paved roads. Love driving up there.

·
Premium Member
F82 Krautrocket
6,036 Posts
Ok, Florida sucks for driving, but how the hell do you choose a road in the pan handle (which looks like 75% of the rest of Florida) over the 7 mile bridge/overseas highway through the Keys, it's at least unique. There's also some more much more interesting roads through the middle of the state near Okeechobee. FL29? This guy probably got to FL, said F it and picked the first road he hit after GA.

·
Millennial
German crap
23,721 Posts
Also - the route in VA and PA that they chose aren't anything special.

They both have the historical angle, but the drive isn't anything to write home about. A lot of River Rd is actually tucked away in the trees so that you don't even see the river. But, there are a lot of neat little towns along both the PA and NJ side to explore.

·
Registered
22,167 Posts
Meh on the Connecticut CT-83 selection. I grew up in that area and that's pretty suburban along the entire route. Gets more rural going north past Ellington but still not what I'd call an enthusiasts roadway. IMHO the best roads in the state are around Barkhamsted Reservoir with the little used CT-20 wrap around and some tight twisties down where CT-219 hugs the lake.

Also :D:D:D that the most scenic route in Big Sky state Montana is a little 21 mile stretch!

·
Millennial
German crap
23,721 Posts
Also :D:D:D that the most scenic route in Big Sky state Montana is a little 21 mile stretch!
You know how I know you're a city boy? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Like I already said, aside from the author not knowing **** about how many people use the road, they actually nailed the scenic angle on that one.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Also - the route in VA and PA that they chose aren't anything special.

They both have the historical angle, but the drive isn't anything to write home about. A lot of River Rd is actually tucked away in the trees so that you don't even see the river. But, there are a lot of neat little towns along both the PA and NJ side to explore.
The VA road (Colonial Parkway) does have some neat sections, especially both ends. There are nice views of the York river, and Yorktown naval weapons station. There's also a neat view of the Coleman Bridge when you get to Yorktown. That being said, I wouldn't exactly call it quiet. I've used it to circumvent interstate traffic before, and there's a fair number of commuters who use it too. I'm sure there are more scenic/quiet routes in the more mountainous areas of the state.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Drove the Beartooth this past summer in mid August. There were hardly any other cars on the road...other than MontAsia restaurant in Cooke City being closed it was probably the highlight of our trip to Yellowstone.

Untitled_HDR2_jpg by Dietrich Huebert, on Flickr

IMG_6774_wm by Dietrich Huebert, on Flickr

·
Millennial
German crap
23,721 Posts
The VA road (Colonial Parkway) does have some neat sections, especially both ends. There are nice views of the York river, and Yorktown naval weapons station. There's also a neat view of the Coleman Bridge when you get to Yorktown. That being said, I wouldn't exactly call it quiet. I've used it to circumvent interstate traffic before, and there's a fair number of commuters who use it too. I'm sure there are more scenic/quiet routes in the more mountainous areas of the state.
Same. Don't get me wrong - it's a nice road, but as you also said, it wouldn't be the first to come to mind for VA.

MontAsia restaurant in Cooke City
Oh yeah - that place just opened up about a year or two ago. We saw it going through town this year, our next trip out we want to stop.

If you ever go through there again, hit Mas Taco in Red Lodge. You won't be disappointed if you like Mexican food.

·
Registered
28,842 Posts
I drove along CA Route 139 eleven years ago, heading north into Oregon.

It was "quiet" and "scenic".

But by advertising it in the age of Instagram, it'll now be filled with folks living their best lives by IG'ing it to their sad, depressed followers.

:facepalm:

·
Registered
44,071 Posts
I suppose that the roads through The Great Smokey Mountains are too busy to be called "quiet", but my times through there are the nicest drives I've done personally. There's nothing close to it around here. We have a few really good twisty bits of road in some pretty areas, but not for any length and nothing as scenic as that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts