VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
in terms of scenic and quiet - take rt 50 across West VA. rolling hills, wide open roads and some cool little small towns along the way. i drove the length of it across the state in 2012 in April and the trees and flowers were beautiful. not much of a "driver's road", aside from a couple sections east of Grafton, but still entertaining.

as a bonus, if you keep heading west on it, you'll end up right in the midst of the Hocking Hills area of Ohio which is the best thing about Ohio.

·
How do I resize a picture?
17,588 Posts
The route they chose for Arkansas is a terribly boring road. It's just flat with no scenery of any kind, interesting choice given all the fantastic roads in the state.

·
Registered
44,070 Posts
The route they chose for Arkansas is a terribly boring road. It's just flat with no scenery of any kind, interesting choice given all the fantastic roads in the state.
I've driven through a corner of Arkansas on the way to Texas. I knew there had to be more to it than that! That's one seriously desolate stretch of road.

·
Registered
34,260 Posts
I've driven Route 2 in NH many times.

Beautiful stretch of road and far enough North to be away from most of the Tourists (Mostly used for people traveling to Santa's Village)

It's also the same route where those motorcyclists were killed over the summer by the guy towing a trailer and driving drunk/under the influence.

Another nice stretch in NH is Route 16 North from Gorham to Errol. Great stretch of road if you want to see Moose. Then at Errol turn left and go West on 26 to Dixville Notch. nice curvy well paved roads. Love driving up there.
x2.

The 201 in Maine is where you will find the moose.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
the most beautiful, most deserted, best road I've driven is the Haines Highway, particularly the Canadian portion

Agreed. Hardly any vehicles, lots of wildlife, stunning vistas. And now, of those posted, we've finally driven them all at one time or another, we got to check off Alaska on our July trip to Deadhorse:

:D

·
Registered
26,775 Posts
172 in NC cannot be the "most scenic, quiet route" there. Neither is 18 (especially when it joins up with 404) in DE as that's a main shortcut to get to the beach from Baltimore (and back). UT rt50 is actually I70 for 3/4 of it's length, there's definitely better in that state. Also really like how the image they use for rt50 is actually rt89 and nowhere near where rt50 is.

·
Registered
11,241 Posts
172 in NC cannot be the "most scenic, quiet route" there
Agreed. Just like the long stretch of 321 in SC that they chose might be quiet, it is anything but scenic. It's a long, straight, flat old road that's got nothing scenic from I-95 to Clover (80% of it), and the only reason I've driven it is because of accidents during beach traffic forced the detour.

·
Registered
22,972 Posts
in terms of scenic and quiet - take rt 50 across West VA. rolling hills, wide open roads and some cool little small towns along the way. i drove the length of it across the state in 2012 in April and the trees and flowers were beautiful. not much of a "driver's road", aside from a couple sections east of Grafton, but still entertaining.

as a bonus, if you keep heading west on it, you'll end up right in the midst of the Hocking Hills area of Ohio which is the best thing about Ohio.
We've visited the Hocking Hills regions a few times, and some of those roads really are quite good. Supposedly C&D does some of their testing in that area. That said, mid-summer on weekends, good luck. Fifth-wheels and motor homes will make you want to jump off the nearest bridge.

Michigan has some scenic roads. M-22 up around Frankfort, US-23 north of "the thumb" up to the Alpena or even Rogers City area, both US-2 and M-134 on the south shore of the Upper Peninsula, Lakeshore on the north east side of the UP, M-26 on the north side of the Keweenaw Peninsula. Those are my personal favorites. Views along the lakes are great in beautiful weather, and sometimes pretty impressive when the weather is bad.

·
Registered
11,107 Posts
PA should have been route 6, it’s scenic and fun. It has a whole tourism push to do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34,783 Posts
I had to look up if Kayenta is on Arizona's US-160 (it is) but confirming that, I've actually driven that highway a number of times. Similar to what people have said about other routes on the list, that isn't exactly the most scenic road in Arizona, much less in America. Quiet? I guess so, but partly because I'd avoid going through the reservation when possible since they're happy to pull you over and ticket you for just about anything. Not a problem if you're the kind of person to just set the cruise control for the speed limit and mind your own business, but speeding or pulling over in random places could easily get you tickets for sure.

That element may apply to others on the list too: often the more remote a highway is, the more likely it runs through a small town where they make a substantial portion of their money from ticketing outsiders.

·
24,887 Posts
201 north of Skowhegan (ME) is probably my favorite road for fast driving. Yes you can run into logging trucks but there are also plenty of times where you feel like you have it too yourself. The stretch along the Kennebec from Moscow to Caratunk/The Forks is particularly rewarding it something that can stick through high speed sweepers. Most importantly up here it was recently re-paved. There are many spectacular roads in this state but alot of them are in bad enough shape that they are hard to enjoy.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
PA-32. lol, nah. Hit it in decent weather and you're stuck behind saddlebaggers and rubberneckers driving around at 20-25 MPH. It's a very frustrating road.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts