VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm mad, bro. :mad:

http://www.carnewschina.com/2014/02/24/opel-adam-will-be-a-buick-in-china/

he Opel Adam will be rebadged as Buick for the China car market, launch is expected for 2015. General Motors wants the Adam in China to compete with the successful Fiat 500. The ‘Buick Adam’ will be imported into China but local production is very well possible further in the future. Price is yet unknown but the Fiat 500 does 169.800 yuan to 268.800 yuan, so price of the Adam will likely sit in the same range. Engines: 1.2 petrol with 69hp and 1.4 petrol with 100hp.

The Buick Adam will be the first high-end city car for GM in China. So far GM has focused entirely on cheap city cars. However, recent success of Fiat and Smart has shown there is a large market for hip and high-quality city cars that are bought by hip and reasonably-rich city folk who want to show off their wealth and hipness but don’t want a large car, and definitely no sedan like their parents have.
http://jalopnik.com/opel-adam-is-going-to-china-as-the-buick-adam-for-some-1529738882?utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_twitter&utm_source=jalopnik_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

I'm such a fan of GM's Fiat 500-fighting Opel Adam that I even devised a genius plan on how it could be sold in the U.S. Unfortunately, it looks like it's going to China first. As a Buick. The Buick Adam, they're calling it. The Buick Adam.

Let's put aside that perplexing name choice for a moment and consider this bit from our pals at Car News China, who say the Adam will be launched in the Chinese market sometime next year to compete with the surprisingly successful Fiat 500 and Smart Fortwo. See, not everyone in China wants a long-wheelbase 3-Series! People in China want attractive, well-appointed city cars same as Americans and Europeans.

There the Adam will be sold as a Buick in China, which makes more sense over there than it does here because they perceive Buick as a youthful, dynamic, aspirational brand. I'll go ahead an posit that in spite of an attractive lineup, that's less true in the U.S.

But that name. That name! Can we all take a moment and think about how little sense "Buick Adam" makes? See, it's called the Opel Adam because it's named after Adam Opel, the dude who founded that company. It's also sold as the Vauxhall Adam in the UK, which also makes no sense. I mean, I guess they could have called it the Buick David Dunbar, but that's not terribly appealing.

I don't see why the Chinese (or us Americans for that matter) can't just sell the damn thing with an Opel badge in Buick showrooms. It's hardly the first time that's happened. Oh well. The next-generation Opel Adam is rumored to be coming to America; just don't expect its name to make sense to anyone.

·
Chili Bigot
(boop/ bop/ beep)
21,534 Posts
I clicked on the thread because I forgot what the Adam was. Then I saw the pic and said to myself, "I don't even care if it comes here. Why dafuq do I care that it's going to China?"

:p

·
Registered
'19 Subaru Forester with the no-faster stripes
44,863 Posts
Buick.....Adam.

ooooookay.

Why not the Buick David? :laugh:

But yeah, on balance, this is probably as uninteresting to me as car news gets. The Adam is a weird little thing.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
The Buick Adam will be the first high-end city car for GM in China. So far GM has focused entirely on cheap city cars. However, recent success of Fiat and Smart has shown there is a large market for hip and high-quality city cars that are bought by hip and reasonably-rich city folk who want to show off their wealth and hipness but don’t want a large car, and definitely no sedan like their parents have
yeah.... that's exactly what comes to mind when I read that and look at the picture.... :screwy:

·
Registered
2012 X5 35d, 2012 Golf 2.5
4,081 Posts
I haven't seen a single post that would suggest anyone does :confused:
I still want one of these :(
Umm...

Not to mention the whole point of this thread (from what I can see) was to point out the Adam is going to China as a Buick, so why can't it come to the NA market seeing as how apparently these markets are fairly similar..

·
Banned
10,159 Posts
Umm...

Not to mention the whole point of this thread (from what I can see) was to point out the Adam is going to China as a Buick, so why can't it come to the NA market seeing as how apparently these markets are fairly similar..
Yeah, after the massive success that has been the Fiat 500, this would be a sure hit ;) .

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.