VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Happened too fast for me to snap a pic. But was just out, and was shocked to see a mint, "museum-piece" quality, Neon SRT4 in the wild. Car was 100% stock as far as I could tell, and was being driven by a couple in their mid, to late 70's easily. I cannot believe how odd it is to see a survivor SRT4, I thought all of them burned up, crashed or grenaded?

I feel like at this point, you're more likely too spot a mint, un-molested '99 Civic Si, than find an un-touched and cared for SRT4.

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
These things are like 2nd gen Eclipses GST/GSX and Talons TSI. If you find a mint low mileage one snap it up and store it! Future classics all day long and more rare than some exotics.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Stuff like this is still out there. I see a lady in her late 50's almost every day in the summer driving her Saturn Ion Redline w/ comp package. Bone stock and perfect.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These things are like 2nd gen Eclipses GST/GSX and Talons TSI. If you find a mint low mileage one snap it up and store it! Future classics all day long and more rare than some exotics.
I agree! I just wonder how many people did snap them up, and put them away. The SRT4 was quite a bargain, at what $20K when they were new.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
My co-worker literally just traded in his mint srt-4 for a Golf R. He was the original owner and it had maybe 50k miles on it when he got rid of it like a month or two ago. I think it had some mopar performance stuff on it, but was stock other than that. I always thought it was crazy to see one that clean and unmolested.

·
Registered
8,909 Posts
There are two red ones in my area. I see the stock looking one a few days a week as we take the same road only in opposite directions on our morning commutes. The other one is obviously modified, and I see it more rarely. They're out there! :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
I agree! I just wonder how many people did snap them up, and put them away. The SRT4 was quite a bargain, at what $20K when they were new.
Interesting. A friend of mine has one with a big turbo. The car is actually scary, as a passenger. I think it's a neat and proven concept (high HP motor + light/small chassis), but man that interior is terrible. I'm by no means a dash stroker, but holy crap.

·
Registered
Gold-level Member
19,350 Posts
My 63-year old mom drives my old neon blue '03 Civic Si hatchback. It is in great shape aside from some peeling paint on the hatch spoiler (Texas sun killed it).

It is a great car but not really optimal for DFW (A/C is too weak for 100°F+ and the firm suspension beats you to death on bad city roads) so I gave it to her a few years ago (she is semi retired and had an old Saturn wagon that was always in the shop). She loves it and just keeps the back seat folded down all the time for her dog, like a mini wagon.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I worked with a guy a few years ago who had a yellow SRT4 as his daily, and a yellow Cobra for funzies. He was a super guido too. It was great.

·
Registered
711 Posts
A kid I went to school with had one. He mentioned something about factory performance packages and switches that would alter its performance. I haven't thought about that car in years...

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My 63-year old mom drives my old neon blue '03 Civic Si hatchback. It is in great shape aside from some peeling paint on the hatch spoiler (Texas sun killed it).

It is a great car but not really optimal for DFW (A/C is too weak for 100°F+ and the firm suspension beats you to death on bad city roads) so I gave it to her a few years ago (she is semi retired and had an old Saturn wagon that was always in the shop). She loves it and just keeps the back seat folded down all the time for her dog, like a mini wagon.
Ha Ha, I totally get that. I had an '02 Civic Si EP3, I took it with me from California, to Austin in the Summer of 2004. I quickly found out also how horrible, and inadequate the A/C was in that car, for the Texas heat/ humidity. I promptly sold it within three months of moving to Texas, for a Ram 2500 Cummins, no less:laugh: (I was 26 years old, single, no responsibilities and good job) I wanted to fit in with the "Texas patina" as I kept getting pulled over by state troopers in my modded SI lol. Once I got the diesel Ram, I never got pulled over again.

·
Banned
987 Posts
My 2005... Original owner, but sold it past August to make room for my 2016 Z06.

51k~ miles, pristine interior, and 500/500 whp/tq. Over $30,000 into mods, tunes, rebuilds since I bought it.

Old wheels, both pics taken while I was stationed in Italy..

This lil sumbitch was scary, fast, and a straight driver full of exotic killing power.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Funny you should mention this. Last night we were going out to dinner and the most minty SRT-4 that I've seen in many years passed me in traffic. It was like the day it rolled out of the showroom. I remarked on how rare it was to my wife, who was completely unimpressed...to her it was no different than a garden variety Neon.

But anyway, haven't seen a pristine, unhacked SRT4 driving around for quite a while.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Theres a red one I see parked every day right by me. I have never once seen it moved in 2+ years. Looks completely stock, and in really good shape other than the nice thick coating of dust on it.
Ill have to snap a pic or two the next time I drive past it in daylight.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts