VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 419 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
**If you just want pictures and none of the BS :laugh:, go here :beer::beer:: http://www.bnr-motors.com/#!87-gti-vrt/cctd

I guess I should start off by saying hello :laugh:.....no I'm not new to vortex, but I'm new to these parts! None of you guys probably know me, but I figured I'd start a build thread for my new project....but I'll start off with some cliff notes.

Supercharged this in September....and then sold it last weekend (Long Story):

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...uent-Cspence’s-VF-HPA-vwgeorge2-Stage-2-Build

Bought a mk3 vrt last week:

Decided to swap everything into a mk2 (Another long story :facepalm::laugh:) and as luck would have it, found a good local car to buy:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5891163-FS-1987-GTI-complete-rolling-shell-in-CT-(cheap)

I'm friends with some cool guys here that will offer a lot of support:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cspencephoto/sets/72157628859382739/

With any luck, I'll have this in a few months:

Something tells me I'm going to be buying a few cases of these :beer::beer::

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
why start with a 87 gti 16v even if you say your gonna swap the entire harness it would be a quarter the work to do a ce2 car.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because thats what my option was for a car....there wasn't too many cars for sale atm locally. That said, one perk is that it meets the 25 year old rule here in CT, so NO EMISSIONS :thumbup::thumbup:...thats one burden off my shoulders at least.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Because thats what my option was for a car....there wasn't too many cars for sale atm locally. That said, one perk is that it meets the 25 year old rule here in CT, so NO EMISSIONS :thumbup::thumbup:...thats one burden off my shoulders at least.
Good point, no emissions for you guys is something special. Here in michigan, we don't worry too much. As it would make too many people unhappy with cars they can't drive.

·
Registered
B5 S4
2,092 Posts
Good to see a local build going on. Watching this:beer::thumbup:

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No real news yet...just working on parting out the mk3 to free up some money to go towards the project and to get it everything out of it before it goes in for the heart transplant :D. Hopefully things will get underway next week or the week after. In the meantime, I decided to pick up a fake rallye grill setup....It's certainly a different look, but I like being unique. I know the round headlights are iconic, but I almost feel like the retangular headlights are more fitting to the mk2 body which has a lot of hard lines....plus I think it gives the front end a meaner look :laugh: Special thanks to vwtechr32 for cutting me a good deal!

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well...not much has been done...just sourcing a lot of misc parts that I need to complete this beast. I've been blowing up the classifieds buying and selling!:laugh: Sounds like BNR will start prep work next week (Addressing some rust issues, shaving and spraying the bay)....then the swap can take place :cool:

Todays Adventure:
6 Hours of driving
3 States
3 Deals
$350

Not a half bad take though! (Full set of Recaros F&R, Recaro GTI door cards, bumper, G60 flare, Thin door trim, Side skirt)

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well, its been a few weeks, but the project is officially underway....interior is gutted, rust repair has started, and the bay is losing its 5 o'clock shadow :laugh:. BNR handed off the House of Kolor binder so now my job is to pick out a damn color :facepalm::laugh: The next few weeks should yield lots of updates, so stay tuned!

Some surface rust and some rot...I guess to be expected for a 27 year old car in New England...

Sneak peek at some other goodies....

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks guys! I can't wait to go for the first rip!!

Nice! what are your plans with the black/red panels? Are they in decent shape?
They'll be up for sale shortly... Rear panels are in fantastic shape... Fronts have some water damage and are warped... They're not horrendous but no where near perfect

Sent from my iPhone: Short but not meant to be abrupt!

1 - 20 of 419 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.