VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up an 06 golf. Love it so far. It's the same mkIV body style as an 05 golf... I don't think there are that many floating around since the rabbit was introduced in 06.
Anyway, I'm looking for a really slick GPS mounting solution. In my car, there is no cupholder above the stereo. This is the cupholder I'm talking about: http://www.ukcar.com/road_test...s.jpg . In the 06 Golf, this is just a blank panel.
Anyway, I'd like to modify a cupholder unit to hold a gps unit that pops outward and can then flip upward. Has anyone tried this? I'm not 100% sure if a GPS unit will fit.
Does anyone know if there is anything behind the blank panel in the 06 golf? Alternatively, does anyone know how to remove the panel?

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Re: Cupholder above stereo - GPS mounting solution? (tadr_94jetta)

Why not just mount it like this?

I generally think it's better to keep the GPS display closer to your line of sight...

·
Registered
17,856 Posts
FV-QR

While I do agree it is better to place it like the pic above...
In DC it would be nice to have an easily hidden navi. bitches like to break into cars and steal yo ****

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Kiddie Rose)

Quote, originally posted by Kiddie Rose »
In DC it would be nice to have an easily hidden navi. bitches like to break into cars and steal yo ****
Yeah I know what you mean. Whenever I park the car I pop the GPS out of the clip and put it in the glovebox.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Re: Cupholder above stereo - GPS mounting solution? (JDS2005)

Quote, originally posted by JDS2005 »
Why not just mount it like this?

I generally think it's better to keep the GPS display closer to your line of sight...

I agree. And the picture above is an ok way to mount your gps but I mount mine right under the rear view mirror. Infact I think it touches the bottom of my rearview. I think that's the best spot to mount a gps because its right under the rearview and your eyes aren't moving all over the place.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: FV-QR (JDS2005)

Theft is exactly what I'm concerned with. I live downtown and park outside. If I can figure out a way to slip it into that cupholder slot and hardwire it, it would be super stealth. Does anyone know how tall the cupholder/opening is?
Agreed about the line of sight comment. My fallback is a beanbag mount- it's just so... not slick.

Modified by tadr_94jetta at 5:01 AM 8-19-2009

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Re: Cupholder above stereo - GPS mounting solution? (CEAZE_ONE)

Quote, originally posted by CEAZE_ONE »
I agree. And the picture above is an ok way to mount your gps but I mount mine right under the rear view mirror. Infact I think it touches the bottom of my rearview. I think that's the best spot to mount a gps because its right under the rearview and your eyes aren't moving all over the place.
I considered windshield mounting too. I decided to compromise the position a LITTLE bit for two reasons...one, I don't like to actually have anything obstructing my vision in that spot (right below the RVM) and two, I nearly always put a sunshade up on the windshield and I would have to take the mount itself down each time and then re-attach it. It's easier to just leave the mount on the dashboard and clip the actual GPS unit in and out.

·
Registered
17,856 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by tadr_94jetta »
Does anyone know how tall the cupholder/opening is?

like an inch. I know mine wouldnt fit in there
that doesnt sound right

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Kiddie Rose)

Quote, originally posted by Kiddie Rose »
like an inch. I know mine wouldnt fit in there
that doesnt sound right
Yeahhh I bet after a few beers you would DEFINITELY put it in your VW

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.