VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okey, so i bent a rotor or something today and am going to have to replace some parts, i figure i might as well upgrade my brakes while its out of commission anyways. Who's running what kind of brakes, aftermarket? Corrado conversions???
Who's got an opinion on which is the best way to go?
Thanks Guys!
KAP

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dunno, driving hard i suppose, thats only my opinion though...the reason i feel its bent is due to the fact that each time my wheel makes a rotation, theres one point the rotor rubs on one side of the pad.

·
Registered
21,846 Posts
Re: (independent77)

Brembo Blank rotors and PBR Metalmaster pads. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Premium Member
9,003 Posts
Re: Current Brake set ups? (KAP-10)

When it comes to rotors you need a high carbon steel rotors. Most cheap rotors are not high carbon. Brembo, ATE, TRW, Zimmermann and Balo are some of the best rotors out there.
ceramic pads work better than semi metalic pads and can tolerate higher temp without fading.
If you race the car then you may want to look in to hawk/EBC pads.
Call me up on monday and I will try to hook you up with a nice deal.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Re: Current Brake set ups? (KAP-10)

On my 98 GTI VR I've got Rotex Rotors (sloted and drilled) and Hawk HPS pads.
IMHO the HPS are nothing special. They are mediocre when cold and ok when warmed up. Don't inspire confidence at all. There is some wierd thing where after a certain point the harder I press on the pedal, there is only an incremental increase in breaking force. Also they don't stand up on the track. I cooked them TMP as well with just 2 hard laps. The fluid (Motul R600) was fine - pedal was firm, but no brakes!!.
On the up side, they are quiet, and dust very little. They appear easy on the rotors as well. This is my second car with HPS (yeah I don't learn) and after having tried other pads now would not reccomend them.
I stepped up to hawk HP+ and was impressed with the braking. It truely overpowered my street tires. I could engage the ABS at 70km/h!. But they screamed horribly when they were used on the street. I mean SCREAMED. I tried the blue canadian tire goo, i tried bedding them in (500Km) and even beveling them and they were too loud for me. I know on other cars they haven't been an issue, so it could just be mine.
PBR Metal masters have worked well for me in the past.
EBC green or Red promise to be pretty good.
People have said good things about porterfield R4S

my 2 cents.
Jeff

·
35,022 Posts
Re: Current Brake set ups? (jeffreyk)

one vote for HP+, rbf600 or ate blue, and SS lines here. brembo blanks.
the noise doesnt bother me and the dust isnt *too* bad. ran out of brake at dunnville, but with the "lack of flow and too-many-brake-zones-setup they had, i dont think anything short of a hawk blue could handle that track for sustained lapping.
i had bad experiences with ebc green.
good luck w/ your decision.

·
Banned
642 Posts
Re: Current Brake set ups? (spoonie)

Quote, originally posted by spoonie »
one vote for HP+, rbf600 or ate blue, and SS lines here. brembo blanks.
the noise doesnt bother me and the dust isnt *too* bad. ran out of brake at dunnville, but with the "lack of flow and too-many-brake-zones-setup they had, i dont think anything short of a hawk blue could handle that track for sustained lapping.
i had bad experiences with ebc green.
good luck w/ your decision.

We are quite happy with the Hawk pads. We keep HPS and HP+ in stock for most VW/Audi applications.
For the track I'd highly recommend Hawk blues.
Brake fluid - ATE Superblue!

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
Re: Current Brake set ups? (eh)

Quote, originally posted by eh »
I recommend OEM...

Touareg + Golf R32.

big brake kit without calipers painted??!?
-50 show points.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
Re: Current Brake set ups? (lostchild)

Quote, originally posted by lostchild »

-50 show points.

The burberry stock rears make up for it.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Re: Current Brake set ups? (jeffreyk)

Quote, originally posted by jeffreyk »
I stepped up to hawk HP+ and was impressed with the braking. It truely overpowered my street tires. I could engage the ABS at 70km/h!. But they screamed horribly when they were used on the street. I mean SCREAMED.

Brembo blanks, Hawk HP+ and ATE Superblue all around. The car is noisy as all hell, but any woman that can ride in my car and appreciate when I explain why my brakes sound like that is girlfriend material. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Re: Current Brake set ups? (Goggles Pizano)

Quote, originally posted by Goggles Pizano »

I'd take stab that most people here don't lap there car

I would bet more people here take a stab at lap dancers, then lap their actual cars.

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
Re: Current Brake set ups? (dmc)

Quote, originally posted by dmc »
Brembo blanks, Hawk HP+ and ATE Superblue all around. The car is noisy as all hell, but any woman that can ride in my car and appreciate when I explain why my brakes sound like that is girlfriend material. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I have yet to meet a girl that doesn't complain about the sound of squeaky brakes.

·
Super Moderator
16,372 Posts
Re: Current Brake set ups? (lostchild)

Quote, originally posted by lostchild »

Very uncool. Get with the times, Rob.

·
Premium Member
4,874 Posts

I find the HP+ pads do a good job of muffling out sounds from the passenger seat. A functional mod for the married man.

I have yet to meet a girl that doesn't complain about the sound of squeaky brakes.

·
Registered
8,382 Posts

I know one. She speaks sign language.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts