VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick overview thread with my thoughts just kind of plastered down as I think of it. Don't have the time to organize a standard review thread right now.

Saturday was an absolutely crazy day. RS3 had been pending for a while. Finally got all the documentation together and a TCL'r who shall remain nameless flew down to collect it Saturday morning first thing. On Friday, I had been on the phone with a good buddy of mine who's way up in a big dealership, had a plaid and made good money on it at the auction. He asked if I was interested in doing something similar, and I decided that I was. In the current market, time is really of the essence so he asked me to bring the car to him Saturday by lunch. Car #2 sold for the day.

On Saturday Audi leaves without a hitch. Drive out of town to sell the Plaid. Deal happens in two min as I have the title and he has the check. Sign a couple docs and done. He had recently acquired a certain F8 as his personal car and I wanted to check it out. We go for a ride. I tell him I'm considering maybe, possibly getting something like this one day. After a few minutes I'm intrigued and I ask to drive it. Super badass car. We get back and he tells me he has a new R8 coming in a couple of months that he's going to send off for a turbo kit. Hmmm, ok awesome....let me know if/when you decide to sell it.

I leave.

20 minutes down I road I call him back and ask if there's anyway to pretrade the Plaid on the Ferrari for tax credit, knowing that's really not possible. He responds by saying only if we did the whole deal today. Yikes, don't want to do that. We chat for a few more minutes and it hits me: I want to buy that car today. I tell him lets do it! He hesitates...not ready to sell it yet, just got it, etc etc. I say "Man, just sell me the car. Lets get this done." He sighs: OK 😂

Turn around and head back. Do the deal. The whole thing is just so surreal. The car is well optioned, color is right. Seats are right. All the extras are included. Its a 2020 with 2k miles and CPO. Price was right. He really did me a solid. The only reason this happened the way that it did is because this guy is more knowledgable about new cars than me, had the car, and it was right there in front of me. If he vetted and bought this car for himself, I knew it is the one to own and have confidence in resale.

As far as the car itself, I've put 300 miles on it already in two days. I wake up thinking about it. Not because of the brand, but because of the synergy of the looks and the performance. The performance envelope is staggering, and even more amazingly, it is absolutely effortless. EFFORTLESS. This car takes corners that my GT3RS leans into like I'm going 30 mph slower than I am. The power is effortless. The engine at 8k rpm feels like any other motor at 3k rpm. The brakes are incredibly powerful with a good, firm effort. The throttle pedal looks and feels like something out of a race car. There's more resistance to pressing it than a regular car. The turbos spool up incredibly quickly and are extremely audible. It is tuned like a high rpm, high HP naturally aspirated car. More and more power as it revs. Gear based load tuning, The transmission is amazing. I never thought I would ever own a car with a better transmission/more positive shifting than a GT Porsche. This one is better. The exhaust cracks as you downshift are intoxicating.

The car feels so light. So lithe. Slinky, sinewy. It changes directions like it is almost massless. The wheel subtly dances in your hands as the friction surface changes. You sit very low in the vehicle, and the rest of the car drapes over the wheels, especially in the front. The fender bulges up and over the front wheel wells and looks so amazing from inside the car. The steering wheel itself is incredible. A bit thinner than expected, build quality through the roof, and absolutely zero slack in the rack. Build quality overall appears to be pretty good. The interior leather is well stitched and smells like an expensive Italian handbag.

The engine is extremely powerful and has very little lag. It sounds pretty good. Not super great....more like two K20s when at high rpm. Not surprising given that it is a flat plane V8 muffled by turbos. Mine has the LED wheel, and I love shifting when the LEDs start flashing red. Super cool. Exhaust note isn't old, NA Ferrari good...but you definitely know there is something weird going down the street when you hear it.

Looks speak for itself. In person there is even more going on. There really isn't a bad view. It is so low and wide. Bigger in actuality than it looks as well.

Overall as you can tell, I am blown away by the car. It is unlike anything I have ever owned. I can't believe I made the jump, but I'm so happy that I did 😁

More to come as I get some more seat time and media with it.

Untitled by glmmd81, on Flickr

by glmmd81, on Flickr

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 vert, E36 coupé
2,216 Posts
Really cool to read a review on a supercar from a real person, not a car mag. It helps to understand your perspective because you’ve also shared real world opinions of all different kinds of balls-out enthusiast vehicles… Raptor, TRX, the RS3, the Porsches, the Plaid.

Is there really anywhere to go from here, outside of a hypercar? And what would that even be? A Koenigsegg, the Gordon Murray V12.. anyone? Bueller??

·
Registered
M3, CX-5, Tahoe, motorcycles
2,695 Posts
Really cool to read a review on a supercar from a real person, not a car mag. It helps to understand your perspective because you’ve also shared real world opinions of all different kinds of balls-out enthusiast vehicles… Raptor, TRX, the RS3, the Porsches, the Plaid.

Is there really anywhere to go from here, outside of a hypercar? And what would that even be? A Koenigsegg, the Gordon Murray V12.. anyone? Bueller??
This is the question that I wanted to ask, too. I feel like other than Zondas or something, you would start looking at legendary cars from the past. At least I would. If I were in a position to buy and F8, my next car would have to be an F40 or something.

Congrats. I genuinely love following your purchases.

·
Registered
2003 Honda S2000, 2018 Subaru BRZ, 2015 GX460
18,270 Posts
That looks fantastic and I'm super happy for you. As mentioned in the other thread - the TRX/Ferrari combo is absurd and awesome. You have the ultimate apocalypse, go-anywhere mobile and it's perfect sports car companion. i love seeing people that have garages of stupid and complementing cars.

·
Registered
1989 M3, 1998 M3, 2000 323it
1,822 Posts
Holy absolute ****.
Getting rid of a Tesla = amazing day
Getting a Ferrari = amazing day
Add them in the same day and I can't even imagine.
Massive congrats. This is the kind of thing one in a million get to experience.

·
Premium Member
10,095 Posts
TCL, we made it! Congrats man

·
Registered
46,294 Posts
Yeah, I don’t even know how to relate!

it would be so surreal to me I’d know I was in a dream state. Partly Because it’s financially impossible and partly because my brain would require a hard shift towards wants and away from needs. :D

Congratulations! I’m quite envious of both the car and being in a position to take advantage of the golden opportunity. Nicely done! 🍺

1 - 20 of 291 Posts