VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No going back now. Burns Stainless is fabing up my 2-to-1 collector as I type.

Need to order:

O2 Bungs
V-Bands
Mandrel Bends
308 Tig Rod
304 Stainless Flatbar - So I can mill out the header/testpipe flange.

Just ordered:

SM-300-450-17

Inlet/Outlet Diameter: 3.00"
Body Outer Diameter: 4.50"
Overall Length: 17"
Weight (lb): 3.29

http://www.burnsstainless.com/sm-300-450-17.aspx

and

2-to-1

Inlet Diameter: 2.25"
Outlet Diameter: 3"

I am debating on putting in two venturi vacuum generators in the test-pipe. Not sure yet.

These:

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1022_1069&products_id=1243

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:popcorn:

looks good so far. any particular plans for sound or are you just seeing where the project takes you?

I wish I could weld, this looks like a fantastic project.
Well, Burns Mufflers take out a huge amount of rasp. So it should be interesting.

I am going to dump it right before the rear diff, and see how it sounds. Based on that, I will pick my next size of muffler.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More specific details?

Burns stuff is pricey.
Yea, it was a bit more than other stuff. But the extra cost went towards the quality of the product. I can also repack the muffler just by undoing 4 hex bolts. So it will never wear out, and I can play with different packing materials to get the sound I want! :D

Details:

I bought some stock downpipes from a fellow on here and took them over to my buddies machine shop. He does 5-axis milling for Boeing, awesome place. We threw the downpipes on the CMM machine and pulled all of the X,Y,Z dims and I then made up the exhaust flange in Solidworks. I also have the X,Y,Z and I,J,K of the downpipe to testpipe and then the downpipes to 3-to-1 "headers". So someone could make downpipes and have them mandrel bent. Anyway, that is a project for another day.

So, I made the flange with 2.25" exits.

From there back it will be 2.25" OD piping back to the first exhaust hanger. It is important to note that these pipes are not bent like the stock ones or all the other aftermarket testpipes. They are straight back to keep the tubes equal length and not screw with the exhaust pulses.

At that point it merges with the Burns 2-to-1 into a 2.75" single and then a megaphone to 3". V-Band.

From there it will go back and up slightly and tuck the muffler into the stock location.

I am going to pipe it up past the diff and get it ready for the final muffler.

The final muffler is for another project but what I am thinking is having another Burns piped out to the passenger side exit. Then getting a bigger exhaust flapper for the driver side. So the flapper would fully bypass the muffler, but when it was closed only the passenger side would flow.

Sorry if that is horribly written. I am tired and have drank quite a bit of whiskey. haha :beer:

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OMG

So worth the money. Everything is perfect. The welds are phenomenal! Sweet Jesus look at the Y-Pipe! Its mandrel bent to size! Oh yea, stickers also! :laugh: Sorry about the phone pics.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 20 of 160 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.