VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i should start by saying this. I live up north in canada. and to compare apples to apples my money is worth almost the same here as your's is in the US ... what i mean is a bag of chips costs the same in the US as it does in Canada just different money.
So would any of you spend 7500$ bucks on a Dubwerks or APR kit ?
well probably a lot less of you anyways. Thats what it would cost me.
so i got to thinking if i bought just the software and the manifold off of APR and sourced the Turbo, hoses and other tom foolery from a local shop i would save a fair amount of money - anyones else had the same thoughts ?
see current mods (APR chip and APR Turboback)

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Re: Custom GT28RS with APR STG 3+ (Driverwanted)

If you want to save money go with GT28RS hardware kit from ATP, and buy the rest of the stuff separatelly.
If money is not the problem go with APR SIII

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Re: Custom GT28RS with APR STG 3+ (27psiBoom)

Quote, originally posted by 27psiBoom »
If you want to save money go with GT28RS hardware kit from ATP, and buy the rest of the stuff separatelly.
If money is not the problem go with APR SIII

just remeber that atp doesnt support this as a kit... it is just hardware (if everything doesnt fit quite right)

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Custom GT28RS with APR STG 3+ (aqua_blue_pearl_g60)

I didn't realize APR would not sell their software without the whole turbo kit
even though i'm an APR user now ?

·
Registered
12,171 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Driverwanted »
I didn't realize APR would not sell their software without the whole turbo kit
even though i'm an APR user now ?

Nope and I cant blame them, although you can now install a ATP Stg II kit for about $1800 and then run the newly developed Upsolute chip for larger turbos ($350ish) and make APR Stg III power with pretty much the same reliability. You would also need a fuel system upgrade but that’s only $400 or so.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Custom GT28RS with APR STG 3+ (MRP2001GTi)

Id like a little more info on your complete set up - i'm being swayed to the cheaper methods now that all the companies are putting out reliable fuel maps for big turbos.

·
Banned
7,500 Posts
You do have to put up with some tweaking. And one does have to mod a few other things along the way to get the best performance.
like intercooler, intake, exhaust. etc.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Sorry I guess i should have been a little more specific....
I'm looking at the ATP GT28 Kit - so far so good.
in addition to the kit i'll likely need new injectors ..... and a new fuel pump ? along with big turbo software like up or revo.
what CC size injectors are you using? and did you get a new pump ?
ATP GT28RS Kit - $2399.99
New Injectors 410cc 399.99
Inline pump 229.00
Big turbo softwaree 400.00
without a FMIC which i will need also it's only $3427.99 or so.... thats almost 1000 bucks cheaper and initial reviews are shoing it to be just as good.
their point on the site about the fuel is well made it looks like it is running very lean.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts

Revo s big turbo software is very nice.. Very smooth and reliable,
From my k03 software to the REVO big turbo software it was like night day.. power feels like it comes on smoother then stock and never fades..
ATP hardware kit with REVO big turbo software is definitely another cheaper way to go..

And from al of the dyno's I have seen on the revo software seems to keep the Air fuel just about right.. And as for saying ATP's kit is a justa hardware fit and requires some modification- Has anyone conatacted them about problem they have with it.. both problems I had were taken care in emails and I had my new longer oil return line in less then a week. They do realize that every car is not identical but they will work with you to help you get it right.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Custom GT28RS with APR STG 3+ (speedbuggy20v)

Good service - thats good to hear - anyone else hooked up with this set up and if so what fuel modifications do you recommend.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Bizzump - anyone have this set up or wha ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts