VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
20,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just scored a entire set of 13" Scirocco wheels for $50. Media blasted them and they look fairly decent. (After powder they will look money)

Anyways what I am planning is having my machinest machine the lips flat to except a 15" BBS lip. Barrels will be machined off, leaving just the faces and able to except 15" barrels. Then drill the 34 holes for BBS lips and barrels. Other machining will need to be done too to make it all work.

I'm looking for a some one that has some bent 15" BBS barrels for testing. If you know anyone, LMK.

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
I approve of this...maybe get with Brad and do a limited production run? I'd be in! :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Funny, I was thinking of doing the same thing to the same wheels. Though mine would retain the road rash for extra flair :p Curious to see if there's enough meat on that lip for a proper sandwich.

·
Registered
20,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
These have been for sale for a while over here. Not sure of the size though. Only $25 is worth an email.
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/pts/2853127995.html

Totally dig where this is going :thumbup:
I have emailed this guy 3-4 times and never got a response. :(

Funny, I was thinking of doing the same thing to the same wheels. Though mine would retain the road rash for extra flair :p Curious to see if there's enough meat on that lip for a proper sandwich.
My machinist and I got out all the calipers and micrometers. We both came to the conclusion that it will be tight, but very doable.

Just waiting on a donor BBS barrel so we can do some R&D on them.

I approve of this...maybe get with Brad and do a limited production run? I'd be in! :thumbup: :thumbup:
I'm good friends with Matt at 1552. Already ran the idea by him. He approved as well. :beer:

I like using the OEM wheel because it give is more of a authentic / OEM look. If it ends up not working out. I will probably contact them.

Here is my photoshop rendition. (minus the gold bolts) I'll probably do a staggard setup on my Scirocco.

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
I'm good friends with Matt at 1552. Already ran the idea by him. He approved as well. :beer:
Matt needs to eat a burger. :p

I sent Brad a link to this thread as well. Like I said I'd totally be in for a set of these, but I'm not sure that the original castings will hold up. Please keep this thread updated. :beer:

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Looks cool :thumbup:

Something similar has been done but with the early Golf/Rabbit steel wheels -

Original steels

Split'd

·
Registered
20,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Matt needs to eat a burger. :p

I sent Brad a link to this thread as well. Like I said I'd totally be in for a set of these, but I'm not sure that the original castings will hold up. Please keep this thread updated. :beer:
I got him to eat a Vegan hotdog with cream cheese on it. Cream Cheese Dogs are the bomb! Try it.

We discussed the casting issue. He said it should be ok. His example was the 3 piece Ronal Teddy Bears. :laugh: How can you argue with that? :p

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
You could be on to something here :thumbup:. Your wheel idea is simply awesome. There are so many OEM wheels out there just dying to have some lip/dish added to them. Teardrops, LeCastalettes, hell even flyers would be cool :).

·
Registered
20,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
MEISTER - I have never been so proud to be a Washingtonian.

Screw the box most of us think from inside of.

C

Edit for 4" dish on a Ronal Teddy Bear. That is waaaaaaay outside the box. But if it holds up, could you imagine track days with a nice 2.0T set up? Watch out Doug!

1 - 20 of 209 Posts