VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know a air intake doesn't make a big difference in hp gains, but what I've noticed after removing my stock airbox in place of an air intake is that I've lost some low-midrange torque. I was talking with one of my buddies and he was saying that in order to increase your low-mid range torgue you would need a pipe that was big in the middle and back to normal size near the throttle body. Unfortunatley I have a 93 Jetta and there isn't much developed for my engine. I was wondering if anyone on this board is into fabricating, or could even point me in the right direction of were I could build this SRI myself. I really don't care what it is made out of, as long as it doesn't become a heatsink for my engine.
Here is a pic of what I'm talking about.

· Registered
2,666 Posts
You could feasibly take a big-bore intake and a short (sports cone, 8") and cut it to fit inside, then lop off as much of the cone as you'd like.
If you were really inclined, you could mod the stock airbox/EGR flap unit to shift from a fluted to straight intake at a certain RPM.

· Registered
5,203 Posts
Re: Custom SRI (soso)

Quote, originally posted by soso »
Now I know a air intake doesn't make a big difference in hp gains, but what I've noticed after removing my stock airbox in place of an air intake is that I've lost some low-midrange torque. I was talking with one of my buddies and he was saying that in order to increase your low-mid range torgue you would need a pipe that was big in the middle and back to normal size near the throttle body...

Why the expanded mid-section? How does it help? Just curious to the physics behind the theory.

· Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Custom SRI (Air_Cooled_Nut)

Thanks for all the helpful input, and for the ones who decide to crap, well thank you too
Anyways, what I was told was a regular aftermarket intake, like a big bore which is 3" or whatever diameter from the filter to the throttle only gives you high end gains because the air is alot more freeflowing, but with a 3" middle and normal sized end it's like you suck up alot of air but then it's all compressed into a a smaller hole to get into your I/M. Kind of like building backpressure with an exhaust system. At least this is my general knowledge of this kind of setup.

· Registered
4,957 Posts
Re: Custom SRI (JerseyDubbin)

Quote, originally posted by JerseyDubbin »
Why does your engine say honda motor corp. on it? jw

its a honda pic guy, he owns a 93 jetta like he said. He was just showing an example.

· Registered
2,685 Posts

poor colin, his website is done, his cars parted out... boohoo, i cant really help you but thats awesome that you linked my friends site for a pic, and used a friends car to demonstrate. its a small island out here.

· Registered
5,203 Posts

Thanks for all the helpful input, and for the ones who decide to crap, well thank you too
Anyways, what I was told was a regular aftermarket intake, like a big bore which is 3" or whatever diameter from the filter to the throttle only gives you high end gains because the air is alot more freeflowing, but with a 3" middle and normal sized end it's like you suck up alot of air but then it's all compressed into a a smaller hole to get into your I/M. Kind of like building backpressure with an exhaust system. At least this is my general knowledge of this kind of setup.

That still doesn't explain anything

If you just gotta have something like this (and I really don't think you do) then try to replace whatever piping you have with a larger diameter piece...try Home Depot Motorsports.

· Registered
9,031 Posts
Re: Custom SRI (ventovolkswagen)

Quote, originally posted by ventovolkswagen »
I'm hungry... I think I'm going to get some Wendys

In Hawaii McDonalds sells Rice.

· Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Custom SRI (2.sloGTI)

he's from hawaii?? wow, I never knew, hopefully your friend colin doesn't mind me using his car as an example. Well I guess there isn't going to be much help here. One more question, if I molded the intake out of fiberglass, would it attract heat?? Would it be safe? let's say I prime it and cover it in ceramic coating of some sort, would that help at all?

· Registered
5,203 Posts

The distance it so short you really don't have to worry about the intake air getting heated up, certainly not a lot. Remember, if the engine is running then air is constantly running thru it. You won't be able to ceramic coat it but a wrap of aluminum foil will help (seriously). Or paint it white. Or wrap it in insulation. Or all the above.
Anything in the engine bay will get warm so don't fret so much about that. The air, especially the faster the engine turns, is moving so quickly thru the air box and intake it doesn't have much time at all to get warmed up. If you're really concerned about heat then focus your attention to the intake manifold that's on top of the engine itself.

· Banned
1,304 Posts
Re: Custom SRI (Air_Cooled_Nut)

Quote, originally posted by Air_Cooled_Nut »
If you're really concerned about heat then focus your attention to the intake manifold that's on top of the engine itself.

i never understood why vw put it either ontop of the whole engine (1.8/2.0 16vs, 2.0 8vs, vr6s) or over the damn header (1.8 8v)!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.