VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I put some bilstien sport struts and a set of autotech sport springs on my jetta coupe. It was perfectly level with the previous suspension set up, and now the front sits at least 1" higher in the front than the rear.....what to do???

I plan on calling autotech and bilstien to see if I can get some measurements to see if anything is out of spec like free height of the spring, location of the spring seat etc.

if nothing is wrong......I was contemplating cutting a small portion of a coil as a last resort to get it level, but this will changes the spring rate.

Has anyone had any success with cutting coil springs to get to the desired ride height???

· Registered
1,264 Posts
you "can" cut springs, like they ^^^^ said, its not recommended, especially with progressive rate springs (which is what you have most likely). Are you sure the bilsteins in the back do not have height adjustments? All of mine did, and do.....if so you will see a little snap ring that fits into a groove. You can adjust the height by moving the ring to another groove, the higher the groove on the shock, the higher the ride height. hth

· Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
now that you mention it......I think the rear had an adjustable seat with snap ring.....I'll see if I can put some more preload on the spring to level it out. thanks for the input. I just kind of curious about trimming the coil spring, an air cooled guy asked me if I was going to cut them to level the car out. cutting a coil had never really seemed like a "good" idea, I was more or less just wondering if people do it and get decent results, which it appears they dont.

thanks for the replys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.