VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed H&R sport springs last year and hate them. I'm installing coilovers and I'm dreading taking the axle out or doing the sketchy 2x4 method again. I could care less about these H&R sport springs so I've been tempted to cut a coil in order to remove the strut assembly. The coilovers are short enough to be able to squeeze into the knuckle without extra work. Obviously this is sketchy, but so is the 2x4 method? Has anyone tried this? Is it more sketchy than the 2x4 method?

·
Registered
2021 VW GTI S
59 Posts
I suggest going to a local autoparts store and renting a spring compressor. They’re dangerous, but still much less dangerous than cutting the spring or a 2x4 method. The obvious best choice is to drop the suspension... my 2c - no change required.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suggest going to a local autoparts store and renting a spring compressor. They’re dangerous, but still much less dangerous than cutting the spring or a 2x4 method. The obvious best choice is to drop the suspension... my 2c - no change required.
Spring compressors, at least the kind I have don't fit on the spring with the strut on the car. I tried before. It is just annoying that a 2 hour job has turned into a whole day thing with these newer VWs

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last time I was ready to disconnect the axle at the transmission but was greated by a bolt that is different than in the MK7 DIYs (I have a 8S TT, I'm on here as it has more traffic), I can't remember what kind it was but I did not have the right bit, and it is also hard to reach without a lift.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
2x4 with 2 tie down straps on it tied to the strut made me feel 1000x better about it as it was near impossible to slip off.

I have since done this method 4x with great success. If you cut those springs under tension it’s not going to end well.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2x4 with 2 tie down straps on it tied to the strut made me feel 1000x better about it as it was near impossible to slip off.

I have since done this method 4x with great success. If you cut those springs under tension it’s not going to end well.
Would it really be that bad? I didn't even need compressors to put these springs on the struts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know I'm a big coward and someone might even used the "P" word and I'm OK with that... but working with springs scares me. That's when sometimes it's just better to take it to a shop where they have a lift and the tools and experience and insurance and let them do it for you.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
I know I'm a big coward and someone might even used the "P" word and I'm OK with that... but working with springs scares me. That's when sometimes it's just better to take it to a shop where they have a lift and the tools and experience and insurance and let them do it for you.
This

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have experience, just not experience cutting a barely compressed spring. I blocked out my Saturday morning to so the fronts but it would be nice to have some time back to house projects.

·
Registered
199 Posts
One question, if you do successfully cut the springs how are you going to get the struts reinstalled? With my coils set to a 3 inch drop, and doing the 2x4 method I still needed a little assistance from the 2x4 to compress the spring and get the strut back into the knuckle. I have done the 2x4 method a dozen times and with the tie down strap (I tried with a bolt thru the strut but the wood tends to split) no issues.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One question, if you do successfully cut the springs how are you going to get the struts reinstalled? With my coils set to a 3 inch drop, and doing the 2x4 method I still needed a little assistance from the 2x4 to compress the spring and get the strut back into the knuckle. I have done the 2x4 method a dozen times and with the tie down strap (I tried with a bolt thru the strut but the wood tends to split) no issues.
Really? At 21" in length from the bottom of the strut to the top of the mount I figured it would just pop right in no problem.

I'm resorting to the 2x4 method again but I don't have the right strut nut socket to tighten this down. Maybe next weekend.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Really? At 21" in length from the bottom of the strut to the top of the mount I figured it would just pop right in no problem.
Because the 2x4 method leaves the CV in the knuckle I try not to stress the area, I tore a CV Boot and then lived this experience of getting the wrong CV Boot from the dealer:

Now I try not to lower the knuckle as low as possible, I support it with a jack and tie it to the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts