VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about going with the FM exhaust with the 4-motion style tips, but I have a stock valencs and don't want to buy a new valence quite yet. Has anybody cut the stock valence to let 4-motion tips through? Any problems with doing this? Noise, melting, bending? Can you just do it with a small saw? I know it might not look the best, but I want to wait to get a full body kit before getting a new rear valence

·
Registered
7,641 Posts
Re: cutting stock valence for 4-motion style exhaust? (Al Bob)

ttt... i wanna know too...
(broke ass college students)

·
Registered
4,734 Posts

I've seen pictures of people who have done it and it looks pretty good. I think there's some metal flange that you need to trim as well as the bumper? A Dremel seemed to be the tool of choice for it.... Hope someone comes up with pictures.

·
Registered
556 Posts

I'm pretty sure some other vortexers have done this. bump cuz i wanna know too

·
Registered
3,022 Posts

I know of some guys who have done it using a Dremel and it doesn't look bad. Focal has done it.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: cutting stock valence for 4-motion style exhaust? (Bryan S)

OK, excuse me for being an idiot. Describe a dremel. I'm guessing I have used one, but its not coming to mind. What metal needs to be cut? Piece off the edge? Possible to use a cutting torch or small hack saw? Or is the dremel for the plastic? Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Re: cutting stock valence for 4-motion style exhaust? (Bryan S)

'Phonic did this as well. He just got all sorts of crazy with a dremmel one day...
-Imp

·
Registered
4,734 Posts

A Dremel is one of those little hand held power tools with a rotating end. You can put all kinds of attachments on it....sanding discs, cutting saws, etc....

·
Registered
221 Posts
Re: cutting stock valence for 4-motion style exhaust? (improvius)

I think there is a couple of guys here in the vancouver area that did the same thing and posted their pic. I would love to do this, but might hold out until the spring.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Re: cutting stock valence for 4-motion style exhaust? (kineda)

I have the FM 4 motion tips and had a chopped-up stock valence b4 installing the 4motion that I now have. I was able to cut the valence w/a Leatherman. If you want to do a more precise job a dremel might be better. There is a cutout in the sheetmetal but it doesn't line up with the 4motion valence. You can actually just bend the metal to one side - no need to cut into it. You can just see the metal jutting down in the pic - I have since bent it further out of view.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: cutting stock valence for 4-motion style exhaust? (Srexy)

Srexy, how did the FM exhaust work out with the cut stock valence? Did the tips stick out past the lip of the cut portion of the valence? I've been wondering if I might have problems with the valence catching some of the exhaust gas unless I cut it up real high. Also, do you actually need to remove part of the sheet metal to let the exhaust tips through, or just to make the 4-motion valence fit? And has the exhaust quieted down like DBJ said it would or did you never have a problem with noise? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts

I don't think you should have any problems w/the gases getting caught behind the valence as you can see from the pic below - also you have a little leeway because of the sleeve length to poke it further out beyond the valence. I didn't have to cut any metal - just bent it up and to one side.
As far as the noise - it's almost as quiet as stock when you are cruising/freeway driving, but when you get on the gas you definitely hear a nice rorty bark from the muffler. Bear in mind that if you have a Jetta the noise will be dampened by the trunk and the distance from the driver also.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Re: cutting stock valence for 4-motion style exhaust? (Srexy)

one question, if i want to do this, should I cut it before i get the valances painted, or is it safe to do it after the valance is painted?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Re: cutting stock valence for 4-motion style exhaust? (sniper27)

quote:[HR][/HR]one question, if i want to do this, should I cut it before i get the valances painted, or is it safe to do it after the valance is painted? [HR][/HR]​
Cut it before you paint it so you don't risk screwing up the paint.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts