VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had some new rims put on today, and as I am unlocking the old rims I notice grease all over the front right wheel. This is the 4th or 5th time in less than 3 years that I have had a torn boot. I believe it has always been the outer boot and it has happened on both sides. My uncle who has been a vw mechanic for over 30 years now replaced not only the boot but the cv joints on both sides only recently, so I know there is no problem with them, but those damn boots just keep ripping and we can't figure out why. Does anybody have any ideas? Because I am fresh out of them.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I've heard of them ripping from high speed runs over 100mph for any length of time. Centrifugal force causes the boot to spread and tear when it hits something. Plastic zip ties placed around the boot are apparently supposed to help prevent this. This is just what I've heard. Don't know how reliable this is but it does make sense.

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Re: CV boot woes (89JettaCoupe)

When your sway bar bushings get a little worn sometimes under a hard turn your sway bar end can touch the cv boot and cause it to rip http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: CV boot woes (89JettaCoupe)

Sadly my car hasnt seen speeds of 100mph for quite sometime now. But I will check on the swaybar bushings when I get under there this weekend, and I already have plastic zip ties around them to prevent them from being on too tight and ripping by twisting or something of the sort.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts