VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had some new rims put on today, and as I am unlocking the old rims I notice grease all over the front right wheel. This is the 4th or 5th time in less than 3 years that I have had a torn boot. I believe it has always been the outer boot and it has happened on both sides. My uncle who has been a vw mechanic for over 30 years now replaced not only the boot but the cv joints on both sides only recently, so I know there is no problem with them, but those damn boots just keep ripping and we can't figure out why. Does anybody have any ideas? Because I am fresh out of them.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Re: CV boot woes (89JettaCoupe)

do you have any suspension modifications that might cause your boot to rub against something under maximum suspension travel or maximum turning?

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Re: CV boot woes (89JettaCoupe)

CV boots are a problem, especially at high speeds. The folds in the boots like to turn inside out and the thing balloons out and tears on whatever is in the area. Sometimes it can grab other things and damage them too. I had an inner boot grab the header and pull the entire exhaust system forward off the hangers on a race prepped Rabbit I drove once.
The solution is to put some nylon cable ties inside the folds of the CV boot. Don't tighten them to tight, just snug them down to the rubber. You don't want to pull the boot down to where it binds on the CV joint itself. You just want to prevent the folds from unfolding and turning inside out. Once I discovered this trick, I don't have any problems with boots tearing. Even on the race car boots last for a long time now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts