VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past month there has been a noticable clicking from the front end of the Jetta. Naturally I would assume it is the CV Joints, but the conditons in which it occurs is baffling me. Long story short, it clicks while going straight, turning in either direction, and on accel and decel. But with the slightest touch of the brakes the clicking stops. I even tried accelerating w/ the brake slightly applied, and there is no clicking. What is also confusing me is that the clicking is very intermittent. I can never predict when it will happen. I checked the brakes and all is well there. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
Re: CV Clicking? Please help! (73VWSuper)

Do you have 9.4" brakes? Are the retaining clips on the brakes still there? If they aren't the pads will knock around in there.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

my front end clicks, or rattles would better describe it. worse over bumps, railroad tracks, pot holes, you know, mine is the brakes. the calipers, Les Schwab said, are missing some sort of spring, don't know how much i trust their judgement (because missing a spring, sounds like an easy fix, but they said it'd take new calipers to fix it) but i know it's the calipers, because whenever they're applied, the rattling stops. i did what you did, accelerated with the brake slightly held down on some rough roads and not a sound.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: CV Clicking? Please help! (vwtoys)

Yes, all the clips are in place, and the boots look good. I'm stumped!

·
Registered
191 Posts

what do you mean your stumped? those are the exact symptons that the Bentley describes for a bad CV joint. you called it in your original post! My drivers side is doing the same thing. as far as I can tell, replacing the whole drive axle is the cheapest unless you think you can install a new outer CV joint. I read the procedure, and it sounded a little extensive ( coming from someone that is mech. inclined , but without garage). figure on $200-$250 for part and labor for remanufactured drive shaft with both CV's. there are some aftermarket heavy shafts out there but I have not had much luck finding a deal. hope that helps
bothell rocks! I grew up out there up on the hill above canyon park.

Modified by 1987GTI16V at 9:27 AM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Re: CV Clicking? Please help! (1987GTI16V)

Quote, originally posted by 1987GTI16V »
figure on $200-$250 for part and labor for remanufactured drive shaft with both CV's.

Reman axles are only about $70 a pop with a lifetime warranty from most auto stores like Pep Boys, Auto Zone, etc.....
I'm not sure what a shop would charge to install one though, but they're not terribly hard to install yourself. I can't imagine more than an hour labor to do a shaft.
Reman CVs are not nearly as strong as OE, because reman are re-machined, and over sized balls are installed. The machining removes the factory hardened surfaces, so the balls wear into the joints faster. An OE shaft will last 10 years, and a reman shaft won't last even close to that.
Broke

·
Registered
228 Posts
Re: CV Clicking? Please help! (Broke)

I just installed a brand spanking new outer joint on mine. It was a snap didn't even have to pull the shaft off the tranny. You just pop the ball joint and the 30mm nut, slide the axlefrom the hub, pound off the old joint with a hammer and pound the new one on. Easy like Surrey girls.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Re: CV Clicking? Please help! (G_T_I)

OK, I just read a post yesterday where everyone was convinced that those clunking noises are b/c of the anti-rattle clips. Now it's "obviously" a CV joint???

·
Registered
368 Posts
Re: CV Clicking? Please help! (VWsuperhero)

I had something very similar on mine, I had to replace the front wheel bearings and the driver side CV joint, once done, all was good again in the world, so if the CV doesn't end it I would say it is prolly the bearings and maybe the brakes if nothing else fixes it (just start eliminating things)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: CV Clicking? Please help! (Wiggles)

I'm taking a deeper look into the noise tomorrow, but could it be a cv joint even though the clicking is intermittent? Wouldn't a bad CV be clicking all the time, even when the brakes are applied?

·
Banned
5,705 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 73VWSuper »
I'm taking a deeper look into the noise tomorrow, but could it be a cv joint even though the clicking is intermittent? Wouldn't a bad CV be clicking all the time, even when the brakes are applied?

that just depends... when you are braking the nose of the car goes down a bit so it changed the angles of the cv joints. when that happens they might get into a good spot and stop clicking. To me it sounds like a joint is going out.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

UPDATE-
So I jacked up the car today and put it in gear to get a better look at what is happening. It turns out that the clicking is coming from the front right brake pads knocking against the caliper. All of the retaining clips are in place, but it's still knocking. What do the anti rattle clips look like, and where are they? It looks like if I had a thicker retaining clip, it would hold the pad against the caliper and it wouldn't knock around. How could I get it to stop knocking?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts