VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
8,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im gonna either be replacing all the cv joints and boots, or buying the complete left and right axle setup. whats the best thing to do? i mean, the parts to replace the cv components is actually more expensive than buying the left/right axles...but what is the better thing to do??? thanks!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Re: cv joints / axle question (VW TANK)

Tank- I think the ease of just swapping out the whole axle vs. digging around in that greasy mess and rebuilding the CVs is the way to go. Check that the axleshafts you're buying are guaranteed and are rebuilt by a reputable outfit with a low failure rate, and you'll be good to go. BTW, you'll need a spline drive socket attachment for your ratchet to remove/reinstall the axleshafts. The short axle is a bear to get out of the car unless you remove the brake caliper and hang it so you don't damage anything. Best of luck. (I did mine, and I'm a spaz, so you'll be fine.) http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
8,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: cv joints / axle question (CarPoor)

on that note of reputation, has anyone in here bought a rebuilt unit of somekind from qualityvwparts.com? thats the place i think i would get it from . . .

·
Registered
666 Posts

i replace both drive axles on my 87 and my 84 gti's.... i found it to be rather simple after doing it once.... the drive shafts are not held on by allen keys there torx screws i striped a couple figuring that out
as stated above make sure you tie up your calipers
good luck

·
Banned
8,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: cv joints / axle question (VWtub)

i like to hear that things are simple
the calipers shouldnt be a problem. im taking the whole car apart and rebuilding it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
495 Posts
Re: cv joints / axle question (VWtub)

$85 or so was the price range I paid per side, but the core charge was more than the actual part, and, here's something I almost found out the hard way... save the boxes your parts came in, as they won't give you your $$$ back or the cores without the boxes. Woulda been a major bummer to have had 2 cardboard boxes cost me $180 when I brought back the cores themselves in perfect shape!

·
Registered
7,979 Posts

Althought rebuilt axles have the appropriate amount of grease packed in the boot when you buy them, apparently it's a good idea to add some more grease when you install them.
Double check some of the other components in that area before you begin. It's a nice time to do the wheel bearings, upper strut bearing, tie rods, and ball joint bushing in order to minimize the number of times you'll need to get your car aligned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.