VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had this bad sound coming from somewhere in my driveline..
*See THIS Thread*
..and the other day I looked under to see that my drivers side CV joint had finally become a man.
Thats right, he had spread his ripe CV joint man goo all over the inside of my rim.

That leads me to today... I went to my local parts guy, where I picked up these remanufactured bad boys:

(they're remade by MEVOTECH in Canada, I don't know if they're great or not, but they're iso 9002 certified, if that means anything anymore)
Anyways, I was leafing through my Bentley today (CV Joint Removal in Chapter 14) and noticed that it said this:
Quote »
Make matching marks on the control arm and ball joints so they can be reinstalled in the same location on the control arm. Remove the two ball joint mounting nuts.

Now.. I'm pretty sure I've removed the CV joints on my old jetta with NO PROBLEMS without undoing the ball joints.
I just turned the steering wheel to the side so I had room to pull it out, transmission end first.
Someone please try to convince me that I need to undo my ball joints to remove my CV joints, otherwise, I will completely lose faith in the "All Knowing, All Powerful" Bentley and my world will come crashing down

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Re: CV joints purchased, and a question about installing them.. (lyledriver)

It's pretty easy. Yes undo your ball joints and tie rod ends so that the only thing holding the strut assembly is the top strut nut. Rember to break the axle nut free while the car is on the ground. To make things easier get a REAAAALLY long extension or a bunch of extensions for your socket wrench to reach the 6 (I think) bolts holding the inner cv to the diff. (hopefully you have an impact gun, makes things alot easier.) The rest is pretty much a piece of cake.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: CV joints purchased, and a question about installing them.. (SimonH)

The thing I don't like about the 4130 approach, is that he fails to mention to loosen the axle nut before putting the car on jack stands.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:
I replaced both driveshafts on saturday... the process went pretty smooth, once found a cheater bar long enough to allow me to undo the insanely tight 30mm axle nut.
However, my problem is still there=[
I feel like my spirit has been crushed..
Still a rythmic binding sound, wheel speed dependant, turning or not, flat road or not, braking or not..
So.. Here's what I have ruled out:
-any brake parts
-any control arm, or sway bar bushings
-strut bearings
-cv joints
-all motor mounts
I guess that leaves me with only two choices, wheel bearings, or transmission.
The wheelbearings were put in in January. (pressed in by a mechanic)
Within a month, one of them failed, but it made a different sound, more of a steady grinding. That same mechanic, replaced it for free, saying that it was probably a defective part.
This is really starting to piss me off.
I need this car to be in perfect running shape for august, as I have some roadtrips planned.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Re: (lyledriver)

Have you put different tires on lately? I put Yokohamas on my car a couple of months ago when I put on larger wheels and they hum like mad, I run my old wheels and tires when I auto x and get no sound at all.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, I should have also mentioned that I am on 185/60- 14 Dunlop SP A2's with 34psi and they have 75% tread, and are quiet as a mouse on a carpet.
So its not the tires..
Damn I really hope its the wheel bearings=|

·
Registered
3,816 Posts

were you the one that was thinking that the hub was bent/warped and thus new bearing were getting messed up?
Maybe there's some grit under the strut rubber "tops" and its just squeakin?

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, believe that was VWRally, but now I'm starting to suspect similar issues.
I'm really hoping I've got a bearing problem, and not a differential problem.
..and since I've got some 10.1" discs and calipers lying around, I'm just going to pick up some knuckles, and upgrade to them.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: (wHiTeGti)

sounds like a balance problem to me... Have you rotated the wheels for kicks yet like you mentioned in the original thread? Also, how did you check the rotors to be sure they're not warped? Good calipers and pads with bad rotors can also have similar effects. You can't always see warping with the naked eye, and it's tricky to mount a machinists' dial steady enough, too.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

grinding problem like how? is there at speed or a time it does this? does it go away if you turn left or right? if the problem goes away left or right you likly have a bad trans bearing. have you checked the gear oil.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Re: (hybrid gti 2)

oh yeah - older trannys have this weird add more oil after ya close the oil plug hole rule... blew mine doing (or not doing) that....
Have an GTi trans now - not a problem on those....

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: (ewongkaizen)

has nothing to do with GTI or nonGTI. Early transmissions have the filler hole too low because it was the location used for A1s, which mount the tranny more vertically. This results in needing to add .5L (a little more than half a quart) in the top after having first done the traditional "fill to the bottom of the filler hole" method.

A tranny datecode before September 87 (09xx7) will have the filler hole too low. after Sept 87 the hole was moved up. Bentley will have the exact datecode for cutoff. The 16v GTI happend to be at the cutoff time, but 8v GTI trannies were made both before and after.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Re: (negativl)

Quote, originally posted by negativl »
has nothing to do with GTI or nonGTI.

Oh - yeah - right - what negativ said...
I dont seem to have my Bently memorized quite that well...
Maybe I should keep it at my desk

All I know its that on my beater - that add the extra oil thing I dont have to do any more....

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Negativl,
I have rotated the tires, like I planned, no change.
My rotors are a little warped.. in that I can feel the slightest pulsing on the pedal when I stop, but I don'think they are warped enough to be catching the pads and slamming the caliper back and forth on the floating bolts, if that is what you are saying..(although I won't rule that out yet)
Either way, my next step in troubleshooting is to put new wheelbearings in.. and with that, I am also upgrading to 10.1" brakes.. and those will be machined nice and flat when I put them on
Hybrid gti 2,
As stated in my original post, its a subtle binding sound, that can be heard while the windows are closed, as well as felt on the pedals. It happens all the time now, sometimes getting louder than others seemingly at random.
It happens going straight or turning, on glass smooth pavement, in gear or coasting.
It is most noticeable between 40-60km/h, it still does it at higher speeds, but it doesnt resonate as much. (the noise is dependant on wheel speed)
The gear oil was changed to Redline MTL back in February (2.1L), shortly after I got the car.. and I haven't seen any oil on the floor of my garage, so I'm pretty sure its all still in there.
Basically, every mechanic that has looked at it, has said that it sounded like a CV joint, but couldn't tell which side it was coming from.. and said that there would be play in the transmission output bearing if it was failing (trying to shake the output flange yeilds very little if any play).
My next course of action is to replace the front wheel bearings (even though they were new as of January). I just don't trust them since one of them ate itself after a month of use.

After that, my only other possibility is in the transmission=[

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: (ewongkaizen)

Quote, originally posted by ewongkaizen »

I dont seem to have my Bently memorized quite that well...
Maybe I should keep it at my desk

This is why it's called the bible:
Some folks insist it's useless.

Some folks insist they can get along without it.

Some folks keep trying to rely on something else.

Some folks have it but never read it.

Some folks read it but don't understand it.

Some folks read it when they need help.

Some folks remember parts they found meaningful.

Some folks memorize huge chunks just because.

Some folks always have it with them, and are basically nuts.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Re: (negativl)

yikes. I have nothing to say to help you at all other than this thread is a good informative read.
Good luck, and let us know when you figure out what it is, I'm curious now.
I have a feeling I will have to replace the wheel bearings on my jetta eventually, so wouldn't mind reading how difficult it is.
*pouts* I CAN'T FIND MY BENTLEY!
at any rate, good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Re: (dianalynnxk)

Im also paying close attention to this thread as the samething just happened to me. But my CV joint is still good theres just a tiny tear in the boot, all the grease is still there. Hopefully I can get away with just replacing the boot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts