VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, here's the deal. i have a TT 268 cam, dual springs, new retainers and cam gear waiting to go on the car ('98). for some reason, i'm dragging my feet about putting this stuff on. i've never put valve springs on with the head still on, but i just bought a bently for this reason, read every post on the subject, magazine articles etc. i have an air compressor at the house that will easily handle 90 psi for cylinder pressurization, but i'm worried about a: dropping a valve in the cyl. and b.the timeing.so i'm looking at porting another head. my questions are:
1. if i were to use an obd1 head, could i use the new dual springs for in place of the factory heads.
2. can i run this cam without a chip for a while without a CEL
3. there shouldn't be any problem swapping the head, everything should bolt up and work correctly, correct?
i've never torn into a vw engine before, but i have a pretty extensive technical background. i have the tools and generally know-how, but is there anything else i should know? thanks

·
Registered
619 Posts
Re: cylinder head questions (bigteal)

i dont know about your obd1 head question i dont see why it wouldnt work but...
i have never done any serious car work before all i had was a bently and a buddy
but i just put a port and polished head with a 268tt cam and high rev springs and it was pretty easy. just follow the directions on the bently its very easy
and if u dont have to take the head off it will be very easy. it took me about 7 hours to swap a head and cam on my car but it's very worth it. good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts