VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I can't have a vehicle without hitting an animal. It seems to be a theme with me.
I hit some animal about 40 minutes ago and messed my bumper up. It's not that bad really but it looks bad enough to me. It just really pisses me off...

The funny thing is... I called the police department and the officer came out and looked at the damage. He didn't say a word just walked back to his patrol car and pulled out a form and told me to fill it out and fax it to my insurance company. It's not signed by the officer or have the seal of the police department on it. It looks like a form my 3 year old could make. I realized they have proof of my call through dispatch but still...

Here are some pics. I haven't been able to get a really good look at the damage but I'd imagine what little bit there is it's going to be expensive.

· Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: [email protected]** animal messed up my bumper... (apos22)

Quote, originally posted by apos22 »
You could look at the glass as being half full and take this opportunity to do something like this:

Yeah, I've already been thinking about something like this. I'm going to weight my options and see what I can come up with. I doubt it would be cost effective for me to do the R32 conversion but I've been thinking of getting the GLI parts to convert the front. Something to think about anyway...
As far as what I hit. I think it was a dog but i'm not certain. There was some idiot on a bicycle wearing all black and I saw him just in time. As I turned to miss this dumb a$$, the animal came out of nowhere. I guess it could have been his pet but I'm not sure. I went back but didn't see anything. Oh well... It's water under the bridge now.

· Registered
804 Posts
Re: [email protected]** animal messed up my bumper... (curraheevw)

Quote, originally posted by curraheevw »
Yeah, I've already been thinking about something like this. I'm going to weight my options and see what I can come up with. I doubt it would be cost effective for me to do the R32 conversion but I've been thinking of getting the GLI parts to convert the front. Something to think about anyway...
As far as what I hit. I think it was a dog but i'm not certain. There was some idiot on a bicycle wearing all black and I saw him just in time. As I turned to miss this dumb a$$, the animal came out of nowhere. I guess it could have been his pet but I'm not sure. I went back but didn't see anything. Oh well... It's water under the bridge now.

Maybe he was delivering the newspaper and you hit the dog chasing him. He should buy you a

· Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: [email protected]** animal messed up my bumper... (waterpumper)

Quote, originally posted by waterpumper »
Sorry for the damage but it looks just like a new bumper cover and 1 grill. Shouldn't be to bad.

That's what I thought when this happened with my 03 Beetle but the damages ended up being like 2000 bucks. You couldn't even tell the Beetle was damaged by first glance but the radiator bracket was busted among other things. Maybe this time it will be different but I doubt it.

Modified by curraheevw at 5:14 AM 8-23-2006

· Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: [email protected]** animal messed up my bumper... (Zz_Radish_zZ)

Quote, originally posted by Zz_Radish_zZ »
Ouch.
Don't you just love driving in the South at night? Hope it gets fixed fast.

Thanks... Yeah it's a blast riding through the country. You never know if your going to hit a dog, deer, turkey, cow, etc...
I've been doing a little research already. It's strange that the GTI front end from TMtuning is about $689.00 while the R32 front end is only $529.00. Guess which one I'm going with if I have the choice.
Assuming that the conversion will fit the Jetta without any problems.

· Registered
2,701 Posts

Does anyone know what happens to the side marker lights if you do the R32 front end conversion? Looks like they would have to be zip tied behind the bumper some how.

Looks like you're going to zip tie those side marker lights

Modified by Zz_Radish_zZ at 11:49 PM 8-18-2006

· Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: [email protected]** animal messed up my bumper... (Be Five)

Quote, originally posted by Be Five »
WHAT IF IT WAS A PUPPY!!!
DIDNT YOU STOP AND SEE!!!

1. First of all a puppy wouldn't have done this much damage. It's a little high up for a "puppy".
2. In one of my previous posts I mentioned that I did go back but could not find a animal or dog. It had to have been a dog. I was more concerned with not hitting the guy on the bicycle.

· Banned
1,618 Posts

1. First of all a puppy wouldn't have done this much damage. It's a little high up for a "puppy".
2. In one of my previous posts I mentioned that I did go back but could not find a animal or dog. It had to have been a dog. I was more concerned with not hitting the guy on the bicycle.

The cute little (large size breed) puppy was probably lying dead somewhere in the woods.
sorry...just had a typical girl reaction.

· Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: [email protected]** animal messed up my bumper... (Zz_Radish_zZ)

Quote, originally posted by Zz_Radish_zZ »
Looks like you're going to zip tie those side marker lights

Modified by Zz_Radish_zZ at 11:49 PM 8-18-2006

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking... It would be really cool though.

· Registered
303 Posts
The damage looks almost identical to when I hit a fox in my civic. Just be thankful that you do not need to replace a headlight, I have heard they are a PITA to get balanced once replaced. Glad you are ok though! PS Stop driving through Zoos at night it is not cool!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.