VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

D-Docks Review...An easy way to dock for Apple CarPlay or Android Auto!

46K views 101 replies 56 participants last post by  Vegeta Gti 
#1 ·
So before I bought my 16 R I was very torn between the R and the S3. In the end I picked the 16 R, for more than a few reasons, but one of the reasons was Apple CarPlay. I knew with this that maybe my infotainment system wouldn't seem to get outdated as quick. I knew wireless CarPlay wasn't available nor would it be a good option anyway, especially for longer trips since it will greatly diminish your battery life. Once I got the car I quickly realized that plugging in a cable every time was a bit annoying. And I would also have tuck the wire in the cubby so it wouldn't get in the way of the shifter.

Some of you may recall that a person by the name of Danny sold a 3D printed dock on shapeways that fit our cars perfectly. No more messy wires and everything is hidden away. I believe he owns a GTI which is why he even made it in the first place. The bad news was that this dock was made specifically as a hobby and for Danny's own phone with a case. So while it fit some phones it wasn't a great solution to fit all.

So I messaged Danny and questioned him whether he would design and make something that more people will use. I guess other people have been asking him as well and he decided to make a better dock. Fast forward several months or more, and me impatiently waiting, and Danny finally had finished the design, made a website, and printed the first few docks for sale on his site. I quickly ordered one and received it about two weeks ago and have been using it and now finally wanted to post up a review and pictures of the product.

DESIGN:
So first off this is a 3D printed custom dock specifically for our cars. I believe it's just Danny making these by hand one by one right now. So while the product is not 100% finished like a product made in a mold, it is still very well built. Take a look at my pictures and you might be wondering why it looks odd shaped, and some lines do not look straight. I can tell you that I never knew our cubbies had such a weird shape until I installed this and realized the shape is absolutely spot on. The design to adjust how the plug and side bumpers can adjust to almost any phone is super simple and once locked, feels very secure. You can see on his site how the adjustments work.

REAL WORLD USE:
So I've been using this now for almost two weeks. And as you could imagine it works great. The dock feels very secure and inserting and taking out the phone doesn't move the dock at all. And no rattles or odd noises while driving either. The phone stays very secure even during spirited driving. And I'm really enjoying the better quality music I'm getting by having my phone wired vs bluetooth.

CONCLUSION:
So are there any cons? I guess the fact that the dock is 3D printed vs being made in a mold is a con for some. But I understand why this can't be done in a mold yet because of upfront cost to make a mold. But with that in mind, I believe the top of the dock is sanded down nicely and you can see in one of my pictures where it's installed that the product does look very "finished" because of that. The felt also makes it feel like a finished product as well. The dock could be considered pricey for some people but it was worth every penny to me. The fact that the dock will be usable for any of my futures phones is great. It also makes me use CarPlay more often which in the end is the purpose of this dock and it's done that so far.

This is where I bought mine from: D-Docks

See less See more
#4 ·
Yup really cool idea. I think he told me it takes like a better part of the whole day to even print one. I think he started with like 4-5 on his site and they all sold out. And now you'll see like 1-2 before they are bought and just say sold out lol.

#5 ·
I understand what you mean but honesty I only used that cubby just to put my phone in so it wasn't a waste to me. Plus I have the middle armrest cubby...even if it comes locked from the factory (US model...)

#14 ·
Do you have any pictures of it with your phone plugged in? What kind of phone do you have? I have an iPhone 6Plus and I'm thinking it might touch the (manual) shifter, or close-to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
No pictures yet with it plugged since I used my iphone to take the pictures haha. But I have an iPhone 6S with a case.

All I know is that there is less space for my DSG in "park" vs a manual in neutral and I have no issues with docking my phone while DSG is in park.

I believe the person who makes the dock owns a MK7 GTI in manual so you could post that question to his site or even reach out to him and he'll let you know.

#30 ·
Received my D-Dock today and I highly recommend it. I installed it without using the sticky tape and it stays put anyways. It looks like it's oem when installed and simply sliding my iphone in and out is so much more convenient! No wonder they sell like hotcakes...[emoji106] I love the fact everything is adjustable as well, so no need to buy a new one when getting a new phone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#31 · (Edited)
Same with the tape. I might replace it with some sticky rubber matting or something instead. Works great with my moto x 2014, but can see it working much better with flat backed phones.
There is currently a lack of short 90deg usb c cables of the type maker users, so I will need to figure that out before I upgrade phones.

Glad someone made this!

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

#32 ·
I just got my 2017 Golf R and went looking for a way to easily connect my iPhone in order to use CarPlay. There are a variety of phone mounts out there, most involve a phone and wires exposed next to the console or blocking an air vent. This is the perfect solution. I ordered it a few days ago and it arrived today. It was very simple to adjust it to fit my phone and case. Well done Danny! Thank you for designing and selling this solution. Looks like it belongs in the car, very unobtrusive and works flawlessly.

#33 ·
I've been using this for about a month now and I'm really impressed. I change my phone every year out of boredom so the idea of using the adhesive was not my favorite. I'm happy to say that the fit and finish is so good that the dock stays in place when I remove my phone even without using the tape. Seriously, one of the best homegrown products I've ever used.

#35 ·
I'm really interested, but sometimes I need to access the phone to get android auto to connect. Occasionally you get a notification that the phone is only charging and you need to change it to send data instead.

Not sure how that would work with the phone in the port, as the minute you took the phone out of the dock that notification would go away.

I love this concept though as that's where I currently keep my phone.

#36 · (Edited)
Android auto experience varies greatly by phone. GREATLY! Once it's set up, i have no issues.

With my moto x 2014, and Nexus 5x, I have run into your scenario exactly twice. I keep spare USB cords everywhere, so swapping cables to finish setup once in a blue moon isn't an issue for me.

You could change the USB connection type in the Android developer menu. Might address your issue with charge more being the default.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

#42 ·
D-Dock magnetic cable adaptation

This all started with me having a fit issue with my Galaxy S7 Edge, which has an alloy bumper case on it which prevented the cable Danny provided from making reliable connection.

I found a different cable that had a straight-through connector (an old Motorola cable I had lying about) instead of the 90d connector provided, and it worked. A bit fiddly to get the phone in and connected, but solid once done.

I then did some more online digging and found this cable by WSKEN:

"iKNOWTECH Magnetic Micro USB Cable, Nylon Braided Data Charger Lead with Metal Plug LED Indicator Light for Samsung S2 S3 S4 S6 S7 Edge, Note 2/3/4/5, Tab S2 S, LG G4 G3, Sony Xperia Series Phones"

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MA6JT6K

The magnet on this cable is strong enough to pick my phone up by it (gently) with the bumper case on my phone, and the cable works as USB data not just as a charge cable.

I tested this cable directly with a-auto and it worked fine for the drive to work today (music, maps).

When I got to work I brought the dock in and took a peek ... the iKNOWTECH cable end pushed through the micro-usb adapter provided with the d-dock w/o alteration, and after a little adjustment of the placing of things seems to connect up nice and easily.

I relaxed the side-bars on the dock so they don't hold quite as firmly ... no slop just not as firm ... and it's very obvious when the magnetic cable pulls the phone in.

I have not mounted this back into my car yet, but I see no reason why this won't work fine.

ps. the bumper case I have on my S7 Edge is some no-name which I got off Amazon : https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CYH8QHA

Images showing interference issue:

Images showing mag-adapted d-dock

#45 ·
Love my D-Dock too...so much easier than fumbling with a loose cable. I started wondering if the compartment ( which is removable from the console) could be modified and an alternate version d-Dock designed which gives additional depth to allow the compartment door to be closed with phone inside. Would probably have to cut out the rear of the compartment to allow more clearance but I am willing to do that if it would allow me to close the lid. That's the only thing that bugs me about the d-dock solution, is always having the door open. Perhaps the existing d-dock could be slide rearward a bit more if the back were cut out of the compartment? Have to take it apart and see...

Danny, do you subscribe to this thread?!? ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.