VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 102 Posts
D-Dock magnetic cable adaptation

This all started with me having a fit issue with my Galaxy S7 Edge, which has an alloy bumper case on it which prevented the cable Danny provided from making reliable connection.

I found a different cable that had a straight-through connector (an old Motorola cable I had lying about) instead of the 90d connector provided, and it worked. A bit fiddly to get the phone in and connected, but solid once done.

I then did some more online digging and found this cable by WSKEN:

"iKNOWTECH Magnetic Micro USB Cable, Nylon Braided Data Charger Lead with Metal Plug LED Indicator Light for Samsung S2 S3 S4 S6 S7 Edge, Note 2/3/4/5, Tab S2 S, LG G4 G3, Sony Xperia Series Phones"

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MA6JT6K

The magnet on this cable is strong enough to pick my phone up by it (gently) with the bumper case on my phone, and the cable works as USB data not just as a charge cable.

I tested this cable directly with a-auto and it worked fine for the drive to work today (music, maps).

When I got to work I brought the dock in and took a peek ... the iKNOWTECH cable end pushed through the micro-usb adapter provided with the d-dock w/o alteration, and after a little adjustment of the placing of things seems to connect up nice and easily.

I relaxed the side-bars on the dock so they don't hold quite as firmly ... no slop just not as firm ... and it's very obvious when the magnetic cable pulls the phone in.

I have not mounted this back into my car yet, but I see no reason why this won't work fine.

ps. the bumper case I have on my S7 Edge is some no-name which I got off Amazon : https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CYH8QHA

Images showing interference issue:

Images showing mag-adapted d-dock

just installed in my '17 R for my iPhone 7 (w/o case). Product is great and makes CarPlay that much more convenient and my phone is always charged. For now I'm not using the 3M tape and everything stays in place just fine.

Thanks to Danny for building this :thumbup:

Mines coming Friday csnt wait [emoji846]

iPhone using Tapatalk VIP

Love my D-Dock too...so much easier than fumbling with a loose cable. I started wondering if the compartment ( which is removable from the console) could be modified and an alternate version d-Dock designed which gives additional depth to allow the compartment door to be closed with phone inside. Would probably have to cut out the rear of the compartment to allow more clearance but I am willing to do that if it would allow me to close the lid. That's the only thing that bugs me about the d-dock solution, is always having the door open. Perhaps the existing d-dock could be slide rearward a bit more if the back were cut out of the compartment? Have to take it apart and see...

Danny, do you subscribe to this thread?!? ;)

Here's another positive post about the dock. I love mine. I did use the tape, probably didn't need it though.

Definitely can't close the door/cover with my phone in the dock (pixel xl). Didn't expect to be able to, either, just mentioning it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Danny is incredible and has a very old school sense of customer service. i cannot speak highly enough of his communication, thoroughness, and dedication. Great product, installed it last week and i truly believe it is meant to be for the car, simple plug phone in close door (no case) and drive off!!

Got mine today super easy install absolutely love it !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another happy customer. Works perfectly with my Nexus 6P. Great quality product :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Yeah, I have to clean the interior...damn dust :mad:

Another happy customer. Works perfectly with my Nexus 6P. Great quality product :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Yeah, I have to clean the interior...damn dust :mad:

Yikes that's dirty [emoji47]

iPhone using Tapatalk VIP

Just installed mine tonight... what a fantastic product. Very thoughtful in design, perfectly executed and makes plugging in the phone effortless and completely tucked away. Worth every penny!

Discussion starter · #56 ·
Just installed mine tonight... what a fantastic product. Very thoughtful in design, perfectly executed and makes plugging in the phone effortless and completely tucked away. Worth every penny!
Yup I still enjoy mine and use it a lot. Love the fact that when I got my new iPhone 7 and a new case, I was able to make the small adjustments on the dock itself to fit. Really clever design that I think will last the life of the car.

This thread helped convince me to get the d-dock and its great as everyone has said and I'm really happy with it.

Fits perfectly with 2018 GTI and Pixel 2 (small one) with case. Its so close to being able to close the cubby though which could be a nice option. I can close it without the usb connector and with a slight angle on the phone.

I think by pushing the usb connector to be almost flush and sanding down the dock from the back and/or bottom - maybe 1/4" from both would do it.
I probably won't bother, and I'm not sure the lack of ventilation with a closed cubby could cause heat build up which could ultimately shorten a phones battery life anyway.

Yup I still enjoy mine and use it a lot. Love the fact that when I got my new iPhone 7 and a new case, I was able to make the small adjustments on the dock itself to fit. Really clever design that I think will last the life of the car.
Or until Apple changes the I/O port again....

41 - 60 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.