VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Expecting our first in June and looking for stuff to register for. Looking at a diaper-bag for me (dad) vs. carrying around some fru fru flower printed diaper bag. Has anyone else gone this route, did you find one you liked and/or are there features I should be looking for in a dad bag? From the looks of thinks I'll likely go the backpack route.

Input greatly appreciated.

Was considering this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Multi-Functi...rd_wg=nIfK0&psc=1&refRID=Q2A5R9Q1XM9CZ5YNHP7H

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
It honestly doesn't matter as long as you can quickly and easily access the stuff in it. Change of clothes, bottles, snacks, wipes, extra shirt for you :laugh:, pacifiers/toys, small light blanket/towel in case you have to change them somewhere gnarly, sunscreen.

·
Registered
26,133 Posts
with two boys 3 and 5, we went with a backpack.

we DID get a 'baby' backpack though, it has an insulated side pocket for a bottle and the opposite side pocket with an opening for access to the flip lid most wipes have.
also came with a fold up changing pad with built in dirty diaper/waste bag dispenser.

after the initial 'baby shock' wears off you will find that the backpack doesnt need to be packed nearly as full of STUFF as you once thought.

here is the bag we have.
apparently no longer made - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fisher-price-Dad-s-Diaper-Bag-Backpack/17299187

·
Registered
631 Posts
We ended up getting an older version of this: https://www.target.com/p/eddie-bauer-174-sport-duffel-with-organizer/-/A-51466339#lnk=sametab before baby was born. Honestly it was just too big and bulky for everyday use and it got shoved in the closest and replaced with a canvas tote bag. Even when baby was fairly young and we needed to pack more stuff just in case it was plenty big. It is just part of the new parent learning curve, but you fairly quickly figure out you don't need to bring that much stuff with you for baby. Typically the diaper bag had a half dozen diapers, pack of wipes, changing pad, small bottle of powder, butt cream, change of clothes, wash and burp cloths, food, a toy or 3.

When we traveled to NYC when baby was not quite 2 we used a regular old backpack as the diaper and everything else bag.

·
Registered
300 Posts
We went with something very similar to what OP posted. A cloth exterior backpack style. Backpack is just so much more advantageous than a shoulder bag.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
We are expecting a little one in August and almost instantly after telling people we got a purse style diaper bag. I'd like to pick up a back back style, ideally smallish with utility to it. In for suggestions.:thumbup:

·
Registered
15,466 Posts
We are expecting a little one in August and almost instantly after telling people we got a purse style diaper bag. I'd like to pick up a back back style, ideally smallish with utility to it. In for suggestions.:thumbup:
I had one from lands end for a while. decent size and just looks like a backpack, but came with a wetbag and changing pad + multiple compartments for stuff

·
Registered
21,107 Posts
I preferred a Jansport backpack, an Equinox 33l, to my wife's shoulder bag. I believe it has been changed to a 40l and the closest current model seems to be the Agave. We still have it and the larger, at the time similar (38l vs 33l) Odyssey. Contoured and padded straps, hella pockets inside, pockets outside, lotsa places to clip items onto, strong handle, etc., but the main feature...hands free!!!

That said, TimBuk2 makes some nice shoulder bags that are good for light stuff and short term wear. I use one for work mostly to keep gear, papers, etc., in one place, but only use it home>car>hospital and reverse. That's maybe 5 minutes at a time, hopefully avoiding becoming Quasimodo.

Ebags.com is a good place to look at options and configurations.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
We had a traditional diaper that we both hated and was a pain to use and always take with us. I ended up just using a North Face Surge backpack - it had every compartment I needed and helped to organize many things better than the diaper bag. I probably wouldn't spend the money on a diaper bag.

·
Registered
21,107 Posts
^ Yep, compartments! Very important to keep little things from rattling all around in there. The backpack(s) and shoulder bag(s) I mentioned have a decent amount of them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts