2007 Porsche Boxster S, 2019 VW Tiguan SEL
7,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

·
Registered
7,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
In for updates! It's awesome to see what you're doing here and I'm sure the end result will be amazing!

PS sorry to hear about your mom, hopefully your parents can really enjoy the car once you're done with it.
Thanks man! I'll be getting back in the garage this afternoon to hopefully complete the passenger side upgrades. Still waiting for a few parts to come in.

I really hope they get out there cruising in the car again. It's such a mess right now, that my Dad won't take my Mom out in fear of it breaking down.

·
Registered
7,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Rawk:

Nice! Sorry about your folks! It's tough to see your parents get older and/or sick. Both my folks died since 2016. Took care of my mom for 3 years.

I never worry about price if it's something "special" and this is! Get that car back to it's prime and give it to your folks. They'll never forget it! My mom gave me the deposit to get my Jetta and I've completely restored/tuned it since then. It also got hit by a motorcycle and the kid got killed.(drunk) So saving it was REALLY important for me. Glad I did.

ECS Tuning and German Auto Parts have everything for older VWs. Older VWs are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry about your parents, it's been a really difficult period and I have tons of empathy for anyone who's gone through a similar thing. :love: (y)

VW's have been a big part of my family for years. At one point around 2000 I had a new MK4 GTI VR6, my Dad had a Jetta VR6 and my mom a MK3.5 Cabrio.

·
Registered
7,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
In for updates, love seeing an old car getting a refresh.

I'll plug the kit that I've used on several cars, including my Mk4, to polish out the headlights. 3M Ultra (PN 39195), $17 on Amazon.

Nice man! Looks so much better with the headlights cleaned up. I'm saving the detailing for last but can't wait to get these headlights polished. They are literally yellow and I'n not going for the French'd look haha

·
Registered
2013 VW Golf / 2021 Honda Passport
1,815 Posts
VW's have been a big part of my family for years. At one point around 2000 I had a new MK4 GTI VR6, my Dad had a Jetta VR6 and my mom a MK3.5 Cabrio.
I'll bet that you probably had a large inventory of coil packs and window regulators sitting in your garage waiting to go into action. ;)

unrelated - LOVE the project you're doing for you Dad. I'm a big fan of the early 2000 Cabrios. (y)

·
Registered
22 GLI // 18 Audi S4
12,578 Posts
Sorry to hear about your folks, you are doing a great thing here, keep it up! In for updates!

Reactions: rawk

·
Registered
29,200 Posts
Great thread.

Have you used this kit to replaace the front wheel bearings? Is it any good?

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Reactions: rawk

·
Registered
7,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Great thread.

Have you used this kit to replaace the front wheel bearings? Is it any good?

View attachment 184425
Yes, I've used this on my MK2 before to do the front bearings. You can do it while the knuckle is still on the car and you don't need an overhead press.

I had it out as I thought the Cabrio would need wheel bearings, but thankfully they seem okay. The tie rod ends on the other hand have about 1" of play on either end! :)

·
Registered
7,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Made quite a bit more progress on the front end yesterday. Took apart the whole drivers side suspension. I have the new control arms in and just waiting on a few more parts to show up. My wife has been documenting everything to put together a little photo album for my Dad at the end.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

I drained the automatic transmission fluid. Looks about what I expected, burnt brown after 125k miles. Hoping the new fluid and filter will fix the rough shifting issues it's having.

Automotive tire Carnivore Dog breed Bumper Fawn

Started work on the engine as well. I have a full tune-up kit with new plugs, wires, air filter, coil, etc.

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Car Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive tire Automotive design

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
752 Posts
Yeah, I echo all the approvals above! This is such a cool project, and does you credit, OP. I'm your Dad's age, not too many young'uns would go to all this length to complete such an involved rehab as this, all done by you, and on the sly until the grand reveal. I love it! Be prepared, though, for the emotional reaction when they see the result, I'm feeling it myself even now. Well done.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Apologies about your mom ,wish her a 100% recovery

Looks you got some quality aftermarket parts, i thought i was gonna some rockauto Ultra power brand parts at first (junk, balljoint lasted about 8 months)

Cabrio looks pretty solid cosmetically

21 - 40 of 96 Posts