VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

Registered

Registered
2007 Porsche Boxster S, 2019 VW Tiguan SEL
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
x2 awesome stuff

in for more updates
馃槻 $900 for a set of four lipped P slots or teardrops... Damn... I wish I had a car to put those on that's amazing
But what about those Teddy Bears?!

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Product Mammal

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I appreciate the support! I've put in about 25 hours already this week over 3 days and have tackled quite a lot of the work.

I'm stuck in a few places right now:

• Both balljoints are seized - Going to pick up some rental tools from Advanced in hopes of getting them free. If not I'll be going the sawzall route I think.
  • There is not enough clearance to remove the drivers side axle. Either I'm missing something or this is a very poor design. It hits the automatic transmission and the motor mount when trying to move. Only thing I can think of is to disconnect the motor mounts and move the engine an inch forward or so. Any ideas?
  • Checked the Fluid Level on the Hydraulic Top pump and it has enough fluid. I was hoping it would be low and explain why the top is moving so slowly. I'm starting to think one of the hydraulic rams is defective or on it's way out. If anyone has info I'd appreciate it!

Transmission pan is cleaned out and the new filter installed. Just need to put in the new fluid.

I have to say I'm pretty freaking impressed with these Maxpeedingrod Coilovers. They are stout and seem pretty well built. For the $150 shipped I paid for the entire kit, I think it's going to be a really solid upgrade. The stock suspension was in really bad shape and you could bounce the car several inches with very little effort.

I got the rear suspension installed today as well as the passenger side front axle. Still waiting on a few more parts to arrive, but happy with the progress so far.

Metalworking hand tool Tool Hand tool Line Wood

Automotive tire Coil spring Gas Auto part Suspension

Motor vehicle Auto part Gas Wood Bumper

Helmet Kitchen utensil Natural material Wood Gas

Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle brake Wheel Automotive design

Registered
I hope that the fluid/filter change works on your automatic. The auto gearbox in Mk3s are hot garbage. You may want to siphon some of the old hydraulic fluid from the top reservoir and make sure it isn't contaminated with water, I don't know if its hygroscopic over time.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I hope that the fluid/filter change works on your automatic. The auto gearbox in Mk3s are hot garbage. You may want to siphon some of the old hydraulic fluid from the top reservoir and make sure it isn't contaminated with water, I don't know if its hygroscopic over time.
I'm really hoping the fluid/filter flush works. Date on the transmission filter was 2/2001, so it's definitely the original filter and fluid. It was working fairly well but would have a really hard shift now and then.

Good call on the hydraulic fluid. I bought some new Pentosin as I thought it would need a top up, but I think I'll syphon the old stuff out and try this new fluid. If that doesn't fix it, it's got to be one of the hydraulic rams instead.

Registered
I'm really hoping the fluid/filter flush works. Date on the transmission filter was 2/2001, so it's definitely the original filter and fluid. It was working fairly well but would have a really hard shift now and then.

Good call on the hydraulic fluid. I bought some new Pentosin as I thought it would need a top up, but I think I'll syphon the old stuff out and try this new fluid. If that doesn't fix it, it's got to be one of the hydraulic rams instead.
My 2002 probably hasn't had this done yet, mileage is at 108k. My car does shift well and I'm probably selling it soon so I may just leave it. I can't easily do this myself so we'll see.

Registered
Sorry to hear about your mom, keep us posted on everything! (that includes the parents)

Premium Member

I have no experience with Cabrio tops, but I would think that if the top works with no leaks but is just consistently slow, it's more likely a pump issue.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I made some more good progress today on the Cabrio. Managed to finally remove the 2 stubbornly-stuck ball joints. One needed to be sawzall'd and the other came loose after 10 minutes of banging with a pickle fork. Thankfully Advance Auto is right around the corner and they have free rental tools.

I did an oil/filter change and filled up the transmission with fresh fluid. Finished up the engine tune-up with new plugs, wires (blue for +5hp), air filter, ignition coil and distributor cap. I still need to do the fuel filter in the rear and the exhaust.

Some good news on the Hydraulic pump. I noticed the fluid level was quite a bit above max, and I'm pretty positive it's never been touched. I think the fluid has taken on water over the years as recommended above. I drained the fluid, put in some new Pentosin and the top is now working about 2x as fast. I don't think it's quite to stock speed yet, but it's a big improvement and overall it sounds like it's got more oomph.

Put on the new rotors and brake pads, and put on fresh seals and grease on the caliper carriers. Also finished up the passenger side suspension, tie-rods, etc. Pretty much done on that side with everything mechanical.

Drivers side I'm still stuck with the axle not coming free. It's disconnected, but there's nowhere near enough room to remove it from the car. Seems like a pretty major design flaw, but maybe I'm missing something?

Auto part Household hardware Metal Nickel Titanium

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Rim Gas Vehicle brake

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Automotive exterior Wheel
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Rim Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Product Wheel

Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Wheel

Cylinder Gas Machine Nut Auto part

Saw Wood Gas Nozzle Nut

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Automotive tire Vehicle brake Locking hubs Gas Auto part

Registered
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Lastly - Anyone from TCL have some MK3 parts laying around? Looking for a Headlight switch with fog lights and the Automatic Shifter trim piece. I have a new shifter handle on the way from eBay!

Car Light Motor vehicle Automotive design Gear shift

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive design

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Automotive design

Registered
I hope you have better luck with your Maxpeedingrods than my experience with them on my Outback. They rode so hard that it rattled my teeth out. I had to swap them for some BC Racing coilovers to make the car bearable.

Registered
I really enjoy threads like these. It's pretty awesome what you are doing. My father always spoke with such emotion every time he talked about his '72 Super Beetle. Seeing posts like these make me think how he'd react if I were to surprise him one day. Congrats man. Can't wait to see the end result.

Well wishes to your mother.

Premium Member

Registered
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I hope you have better luck with your Maxpeedingrods than my experience with them on my Outback. They rode so hard that it rattled my teeth out. I had to swap them for some BC Racing coilovers to make the car bearable.
Did you have the Outback dumped? I read a few review specific fo the MK2/MK3 VW and most were pretty positive. Hopefully it won't be too brutally harsh..

Mk3.5 Cabrios have blue/red lighting, right?

I think you鈥檙e going to need a specific Cabrio switch since regular Mk3 stuff is green.
Yes you're totally right. I completely forgot about that! It needs to specifically be the MK3.5 part.

Registered
That鈥檚 good progress, but you鈥檙e right. There must be some way to get that axle out. Is it a matter of dropping the subframe?

People think that they purposely make cars difficult to service so that you鈥檒l 鈥渢ake them to the dealer鈥. I don鈥檛 think that鈥檚 the case at all. I think serviceability is bare
y considered in the design! It鈥檚 all a bout the cost of assembly.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts