1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figure it's time I make one of these
82 Cabriolet with a 1.7/5spd
Red leather interior in decent shape minus front seats :thumbdown:
Car was sitting in a field for around 10 years before the guy I got it off of bought it. Ran poorly when I got it, ended up being dizzy out of adjustment and some vacuum leaks :thumbup:

Mods list:

ODB2 ABA
Custom SRI
TT 268 cam
TT Dual springs
TT exhaust
ARP studs
Autotech adjustable sprocket
BFI chip
Raceland coils
Riken 13s
Momo steering wheel
ecode headlights
Deka battery in trunk

To do list:
turbo?
hids?
engine bay

Pics:

After coils/rims

As it was sitting before I pulled last week, in all its glory

before

after

sacrificial lamb getting taken away

old heart

new heart

·
Registered
85 Posts
Vrooom! Always felt like given about 150hp these would be much better. Not struggling to reach 60 in a zippy feeling 11 seconds. :laugh: Curious how it turns out.

·
Registered
78rabbit1.5LGP & 82rabbitpickup1.6DGC
11,515 Posts
Vrooom! Always felt like given about 150hp these would be much better. Not struggling to reach 60 in a zippy feeling 11 seconds. :laugh: Curious how it turns out.
the aba wont give 150hp without serious mods
stock is roughly 110-113hp

and even a 1.7L 70-78hp engine has plenty of pep to zip around and reach 60 in less than 11 seconds......
dont doubt it, ive had a passenger time it several times

the real lackluster is going from 70mph to 90mph takes a long time
even with a hyped up aba it wont have a topspeed higher than ~100mph

reminds me of my dreamier days when it was late and id pump out 130-160mph on the lonely highway in my first cars

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2.0 16v is the way to go... with a few mods mine makes 153whp... Goes like a scalded rabbit

I am hoping that by the time this thing fires up it'll be somewhat close to that in HP. I was able to find my parts car for a good price so that was the main driving force. I was close to pulling the trigger on an AEB 1.8t since I am familiar with those from my old mk4

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
made some progress...has been a pain waiting for parts to come in and fighting the 100 degree summer heat:thumbdown:

OTC 4572 worked great, tried to use a rental tool from advance but wasn't able to get the fittings on right

buttoning everything back up. really wanted to paint the valve color tiffany teal to throwback to my old mk4 but couldn't find a lightweight adjustable sprocket that wasn't colored and too lazy to repaint it so I'll be trying my hand at polishing on the valve cover
276cam and all that jazz installed
props to those of you doing this with the head on the car I can't imagine that

arp studs

pretty much done with the engine

when pulling the fuel lines I snapped off one of the plastic ends on the original aba fuel rail. luckily the SRI I picked up came with an aluminum fuel rail but no adapters or anything so I picked up an eBay special regulator. works out good since I should be able to run my OEM fuel lines on the driver side of the car :thumbup: but I need to find an 8an to 6an reducer since the ebay special ones are too small for the rail

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
heater hose mess for the time being

fpr hoses run and in a rough location

had to switch to an electric fan due to clearance issues with the SRI

slowly making progress but it is getting closer, also installed new shifter bushings and weighted rods from TT

to do still:

exhaust
radiator lines
wiringgg

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Update got it running with a sketchy wiring harness

Now I am going to take apart the dash and find a spot to put the ECU and my relay/power buses that I'll be using.

Had an issue with old rotted spark plug wires causing a no-start for about a week :( made me question my wiring.

Will be re-doing headlight relay and new fan wiring in the engine bay as well

wiring mess

temp fix since I didn't have any jumpers : |

everything that needed switched power -> relay
relay is fed off of original MK1 BLK coil wire

worked good enough but I still need to get all of the sensor wiring connected as well...waiting on new heatshrink butt splices and other connectors since I'll be cutting out a lot of the original ECU wire loom

also the 30 dollar ebay FPR seems to work pretty good, I am reusing 1 of the original MK1 hose lines for the inlet side without any issues too but will be switching that out down the road once I figure out where everything will stay in the engine bay

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
long over due update...

had an issue with my relocated battery due to a ****ty ground that took me way longer to figure out than it should of :banghead: now mounted to rear seatbelt bolt
I did get to drive it around the block last month for the first time since pulling the engine which was super exciting, can't wait to be back in this thing

some things done:

battery relocated to trunk with diy mount :D
ecu mounted in original computer spot under glove box along with mini-fuse panel for all switched aba
new radio and speakers in stock mounts
wiring all wrapped and ran for the engine
relayed headlights
lots of wire depinning from original fusebox trying to make that wire nest as small as possible
serviced the front brakes
swapped to single cable speedo

to do:
install e-code h4 headlights
install techtonics tuning exhaust and get o2 sensor bung welded on
fuel filter to replace stock accumulator
figure out hockey puck hoses/catch can

down the road:
redo HID projector headlights
smaller sub for trunk space
fix PO sealed up vent windows

$10 diy battery relocation mount

Current status of interior just needing dash put back in, waiting for when I can fully drive the car to make sure all the wiring/gauges is good to go

ECU mounting using original bracket from the CIS engine

Current engine status, working on routing with a slight tuck all of the lighting wiring

And relayed the headlights

Picked up these from a fellow vwvortex'r, will be working on these after I get the car back on the road in daily mode. Going to try to clean up the seals and the housing came undone so going to reattach those

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Slacking off on updates but car is up and running as of about 2 months ago
dealing with an issue of bad oil seepage between head and block however which is causing me to be unable to drive it as much as I would like :( lot of oil marks on my driveway after driving :banghead:
runs great though car is completely different than before, can't imagine driving one of these with 200 or 300 hp

still to-do:
replace blue spark plug wires
mount catch can
fix leaks...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no pics to update with but pulled the engine out a few months ago due to the amount of oil leaking after driving, determined to be oil pan not sealing so going to try to resurface the mating area...I swapped to the reusable one piece gasket and I think i'm going to swap back to the original style without the tray as well as replace the oil pan due to a lot of dings/nicks on it.

since having the engine out i started working on shaving some holes and cleaning up rust, will be rerouting wiring through the fenders...and plan to paint engine bay to match the color off my dd which is mercedes flint gray (not my car but same color)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts