VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Looking for a new daily but can't decide on what to get, so here's yet another OMGWHATSHOULDIBUY threads.

About Me

I'm a 25 year old, single guy with an active lifestyle.
My commute to work is 37 miles, five days a week, 90% highway.

Here are my current options:

2000-2006 Jetta Wagon or Golf TDI
- great fuel economyl, practical, perfect roadtrip rig
- decent insurance rates
- over inflated prices (atleast here in British Columbia)
- no luck finding a decent low mileage example so far

1995 Corrado VR6 (Canadian Spec)
- 80,778 miles
- loaded
- mint, mint, mint with zero modifications or accidents
- two sets of OEM wheels + OEM roof rack
- 100% service history & 95% reciepts
- original owner (President of Volkswagen Canada)
- second & third owners (Audi Master Technicians)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Rado all the way. I was dd mine until i started getting some bad chain noise so its laid up till i do them. They're fun, fast and responsive. They're great cars when the maintenance is kept up on them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
^^ I agree :thumbup:
also agree:thumbup:

sorry but the mpg will be killing you after the first month, and then your get used to the vr6 roar and your get board after that, the corrado vr6 is best used as a second car or weekend fun car. where you can put a ya foot down and not give a rats a55 about mpg...saying that, everybodys different so it might not be like that . atleast the corrado you have in mind is in good condition..

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Corrado, especially if you can find one that hasn't been someone's "project". They are dependable when maintained correctly although they do have some flaws like headlights, cracked fogs, etc. You'll get decent gas mileage on the highway as long as you stay in 5th gear. Diesel is more expensive than gas so the savings are less that you would expect. I still get a kick out of driving mine after 7 years of ownership and just bought a second one with fewer miles. I daily drove mine for many years and at 190,000 miles its still going strong.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Buy the Corrado and drive the chit out of it!

It will give descent gas mileage and it will be as reliable as you make it. Service and replace parts before they break and you shouldn't have any issues. All the little details that people whine about frequently can easily be remedied by searching the archives on the Vortex.

·
Registered
407 Posts
In the immortal words of Forumese... "its up to you man"

In all seriousness, the TDI would be the "better" DD, as it is 1) newer, 2) more economical (i.e. better MPG) 3) perhaps lower on insurance and 4) easier to find parts for (see #1).

I've DD'd my 'Rado for ~2 years before a freeze plug let loose one snowy morning commute :(. It is now relegated to being my second car, Auto-x car and eventually caged for wheel-2-wheel action. I bought an S4 for DD duty now.

Financially, what was said aove about proper maintenance is key, and the Corrado would be as reliable and good as a daily as any other MK2+ Vdub. Many here I believe the 'Rado should be immortalized as they had such low production numbers and as such are now much more rare with totalled/scrapped/etc units.

To sum up, do what feels right man. TDi will give you better MPG, more friend hauling space and probably lower insurance, not to mention newer meaning more (and cheaper) parts. BUT, a corrado when properly maintained can be an awesome head turner DD.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Personal preference... Cause I wouldn't daily drive this but I would absolutely love to own this manufactured street legal car...

I have no idea what that thing is, but it looks cool. I'd probably daily it during the summer :p

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
the TDI is a better daily driver for fuel economy and whogivesa****ness. But the Corrado is by far the cooler daily driver.

I used to daily-drive my C's. I keep them in minty-mint condition, and the cost to keep them maintained each month was more than my S4's lease. I'm thinking you could buy a used TDI every couple of months for what it might cost to keep the Corrado reliably on the road everyday.

Strangely, I faced the same decision when bought my Flash Red '95 instead of a new MkIV 337 for a daily driver. My 95 also had 80k kms when I got it. Obviously I chose the cooler car over practicality. :p

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Ariel Atom. They're made to order I believe but not limited in production. The ordering part is the engine option. Truely amazing car and reasonably affordable :thumbup:
I'm guessing you've seen Top Gear's episode with it :thumbup: :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.