VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

· Registered
99,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really? I agree with the other brands on the list, but KIA?

http://www.dailyfinance.com/investing/brands-that-will-disappear/?ncid=webmail

BRANDS THAT WILL DISAPPEAR

Kia Motors Corp.
Kia Motors Corporation is one of the two car brands of Hyundai of South Korea. It has always been a marginal brand. Its stable mate, Hyundai USA, has a reputation for high quality cars like the Sonata and Genesis. Kia sells “low rent” cars and SUV nameplates like the Sorento and Rio. As GM and Ford have already discovered, it is expensive to maintain multiple brands and storied car names, including Pontiac, Saturn, and Mercury, are disappearing.

Most Kia cars sell for $14,000 to $25,000. Hyundai has several cars in the same price range. Hyundai’s Sonata has quickly become one of the best-selling cars in America, and its Genesis flagship model competes with mid-sized BMWs and Mercedes. The parent company will take a page from several other global car companies and dump its weakest brand.

See full article from DailyFinance: http://247wallst.com/2010/06/15/247-wall-st-ten-brands-that-will-disappear-in-2011/

[

· Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2002 Suburban 2500
21,197 Posts
Patrikman predicts dailyfinance.com will disappear first.
Actually, it's just a set of excerpts from an article by Douglas A. McIntyre at 24/7 Wall Street..

http://247wallst.com/2010/06/15/247-wall-st-ten-brands-that-will-disappear-in-2011/

24/7 Wall St. regularly compiles a report of brands that are likely to disappear in the near-term. Last April, and again in December, we published our findings. Usually, it would take a full year before such a list could be compiled again. However, the current economic climate has accelerated this process and a majority of the brands on the first two lists are either gone, have been acquired, or have filed for bankruptcy. Last April, 24/7 Wall St. identified twelve brands that our analysis showed would disappear, including Saturn, Borders, Palm, AIG and Eddie Bauer.

We also accurately identified brands that would disappear in our December list.
Still don't think they know what they are talking about with Kia, however.

· Registered
3,014 Posts
...in other news, there is a Kia that costs $25k?? And people actually buy them? :screwy:

· Registered
7,759 Posts
article said:
As GM ... already discovered, it is expensive to maintain multiple brands and storied car names, including Pontiac, Saturn, and Mercury, are disappearing.
Since joining forces, Hyundai/Kia have apparently adopted a simple strategy: Kia will be the lower cost value brand, allowing Hyundai to move slightly upmarket and offer more sophistication, luxury, etc. This is pretty easy to do when you're only dealing with two car brands--witness Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus, etc--and it can make solid sense to the typical consumer.

Then there is GM. Back in the day, they thought it would be swell to make one platform/model and then spinoff five or six different versions of it--Chevy, Olds, Pontiac, Buick, Cadillac, Saturn, Saab, GMC. There was so little differentiation from brand to brand, most consumers couldn't see the point.

Kia isn't going anywhere.

· Registered
23,374 Posts
haha.. cheap plastic interiors.

My brother in law got rid of his Passat for a BMW X3 that the wife talked him into.. and the first thing I did when I got in it was stroke the dash and say to him "WTF is this ****? Nice Kia".

He has had it now for over a year and readily admits he liked the Passat better and misses it.

:laugh:

· Registered
5,276 Posts
I doubt they'll disappear, but they really don't need to be in existence. Kia is probably the only brand I wouldn't buy a car from just because of the name. The name and the Kia logo on the grille are extremely undesirable in my opinion. I know I should be past the point of caring about a brand name, and for the most part I don't, but Kia is the one brand that absolutely turns me off to the point where I wouldn't consider buying a car from them. I'd happily buy a Suzuki, Hyundai, even a Daewoo (if they were still on sale) if they made a car I liked, but I really can't see myself willingly purchasing a Kia

Not to mention that they don't have very many (any?) offerings that aren't also offered by Hyundai.

· Registered
2015 VW GTI SE
20,457 Posts
Is that really the plan for Hyundai/Kia? I don't see it being at all like the Toyota/Lexus relationship. It seems more like two mass market brands (Honda/VW), with one brand selling a handful of higher priced cars. Other than that, I don't think anyone views Hyundai as the "Lexus" of the Hyundai/Kia marriage. There are still plenty of products in Hyundai's line-up that overlap Kia's pricing. And Kia is also due to get a version of the Genesis sedan. Overall, I doubt if the Kia brand is going anywhere, anytime soon.

Since joining forces, Hyundai/Kia have apparently adopted a simple strategy: Kia will be the lower cost value brand, allowing Hyundai to move slightly upmarket and offer more sophistication, luxury, etc. This is pretty easy to do when you're only dealing with two car brands--witness Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus, etc--and it can make solid sense to the typical consumer.

Then there is GM. Back in the day, they thought it would be swell to make one platform/model and then spinoff five or six different versions of it--Chevy, Olds, Pontiac, Buick, Cadillac, Saturn, Saab, GMC. There was so little differentiation from brand to brand, most consumers couldn't see the point.

Kia isn't going anywhere.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.