VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

141 - 160 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Can I get Marin's info too? PMed but not sure if it will work since my account is not fully activated.
yeah i got a weird email from vwv but replied to you nonetheless!

let me know if you didn't get the email. good luck.

10Ten

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
I hit up Marin. He wanted to charge $85 for new key fob and programming. Is that reasonable?
call a dealer and find out for for yourself.

if the price was similar, i would choose Marin hands down. he gives quality service and attention not at all possible from a dealership. besides, he's the only tech in the area i know who can do this. normally only the dealers have the required programming tool.

·
Registered
418 Posts
It is a fair price. Remember it's not just cutting a blank for your car, it's also coding the transponder chip in the key that ties the immobilizer, cluster and key together. If you are able to clone the RFID from one transponder to another then this would be much cheaper as any decent VW keysmith can cut the physical key blank but only dealers and a select few people have the equipment to clone the RFID signature or code the transponder properly.

Keys prior to 2000 did not have immo. 2000-2001 was immo 2 tied to ECU/Cluster and 2002-2005 immo 3 which had a one time write transponder. When immo 3 keys are programmed to a new car the sensor ring on the steering column sends out a signal and writes information onto that specific transponder and stores the transponder id in the cluster. Programmed transponders cannot be used on multiple cars. Immo 4 is out now on 2005.5 + (golf 6 etc) Most 2007+ cars require pre-coding before programming to the car. The CS bytes are written to the key (making it a 'dealer key')and it is locked if you order the key from the vw dealer so their equipment can add it to the dashboard. For these cars, you cannot simply go to a vw dealer with a virgin chip with cut blade and have them program your car.
Google VW Immo 4 etc or talk to a dealer to quote you. You'll see it's a fair price for a new key + transponder esp for later models.

I hit up Marin. He wanted to charge $85 for new key fob and programming. Is that reasonable?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Marina's info

I would also like Marin's contact info. I need 2 new boots and rods for my steering column. Im leaking fluid in slanted parking spots.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Hello,

I just recently acquired my mk1 2 door Rabbit LS and would like him to look at a few things...if anyone is still on this thread can you provide me his contact info. I'm located in the DFW

Thanks

·
Registered
522 Posts
here's something very cool. Marin has been successfully swapping instrument clusters among models. as in, putting a mk6 cluster in a mk4 jetta, for one example. mk5's as well. he told me he can do stuff like put a brand new golf R cluster in my mk5 R32. interesting mod idea, but i'm seriously liking more available parts options as my car ages. a clean and working cluster can be hard to find in 10+ year old cars, so these kind of options can keep people like me on the road (people who run the wheels off their cars). :D

check it out:
This is nice!

I wonder if he would be able to do a color MFI screen in a 2013 Passat SEL??? Where is he located in DFW and how much did it cost you?

Do you have full MFI options?

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
This is nice!

I wonder if he would be able to do a color MFI screen in a 2013 Passat SEL??? Where is he located in DFW and how much did it cost you?

Do you have full MFI options?
that is not my car so i don't know the details, but it's an expensive swap. i'll PM you Marin's contact info.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Great job Marin!

Just wanted to give Marin a big THANKS! I had been having multiple issues with my MK6 GTI and Marin was able to diagnose and swap the ECU without issue. Problem solved!

If you need an independant mechanic I would highly recommend Marin!

141 - 160 of 173 Posts