VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife had to swing to the median when turning left to avoid another car, and the wheel brushed against the concrete of the median. This has left some deep scratches on the alloy wheel.
1. Anyone know how much it costs to replace the allow wheel on a 2001.5 1.8T?
2. Is it possible to remove scratches and restore the finish on these wheels?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Re: Damaged wheel on 2001.5 (jeffp25)

Aye, I'd like to know the answer to this too. One of my wheels got curbed, and I'd love to know if there's a way to get the scratch off

·
Registered
4,454 Posts

There was a Wheel Repair shop in Glen Burnie that's next to Turbo Performance Center. I think it was called Ye Ole Wheel Shoppe or something like that! I've also used the Wheel Collision Center at (800) 292-RIMS.
I hope this helps..

[Modified by The Swami, 7:17 AM 11-30-2001]

·
Registered
4,454 Posts

I finally found the number and address for Ye Ole Wheel & Welding Shop! These guys can fix your rims...
6363 Washington Blvd
Elkridge, MD 21075
(410) 796-8400
Good luck!!

[Modified by The Swami, 7:22 AM 11-30-2001]

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Damaged wheel on 2001.5 (The Swami)

A friend of mine gave me the phone number for Ye Olde Wheel Shoppe, in Elkridge, just south of Baltimore (only 30 minutes away). I'll drive there on Saturday morning and see what they say.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Damaged wheel on 2001.5 (KrisC)

OK. First, I checked with the dealer. $175 for the wheel to be sent out and repaired plus $15 for mounting and balancing (the tire on the wheel, I assume).
Today, I drove to Ye Olde Wheel Shop in Elkridge. They quoted me $80 to machine out the scratches and repaint the wheel. I left the wheel with them, and will pick it up next Saturday. (Its nice to have a full size spare!)
Jeff

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Well, I've had the wheel fixed. The final charge was $90 to machine out the scratches, repaint/recoat, and mount/balance the wheel. They did a good job - its very hard to tell that anything had happened to the wheel. (If you put the repaired wheel next to one of the other wheels you can see a slight difference in color, but the dust from the first drive removed that!) For anyone interested (they have a 800 number too, but I don't have that handy):
Ye Ole Wheel & Welding Shop
6363 Washington Blvd
Elkridge, MD 21075
(410) 796-8400

1 - 10 of 10 Posts