VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
4,337 Posts
Re: Dammit! My rear defroster stopped working on the worst day ever (shawnoen)

That's too bad. How many inches did it total up to? I heard 8 were coming when I left yesterday. I will have a rear window available shortly and could bring it on Dec. 22 at the earliest. That would be off a '91 Golf.

·
Registered
519 Posts

. Wrap a small piece of aluminum foil around the negative (-) probe of a voltmeter.
2. With the heating element's wiring connected, touch the positive (+) voltmeter probe to the end of the heater element closest to the incoming voltage source.
3. With the ignition and the defogger switch on, place the foil-covered negative probe on the faulty wire near the positive side of the element and slowly slide it toward the negative side. The point at which the voltmeter deflects from zero volts to several volts is where the wire is broken.
4. Apply a strip of masking tape to either side of the break, leaving the break exposed. Apply the repair material over the break and allow it to dry for one hour at room temperature. Remove the tape and retest the wire.
Shawn, as the weather changes, I guess the winter wardrobe changes with it. I'm glad I live in Cali.

·
Banned
4,337 Posts

funny...didn't know you were an EE too. Where are you going for that? U-M?
Anyways...that all sounds like it's working fine, and my only guess would be a break somewhere. Have you also checked the ground to the chassis that it's grounded properly? Sounds simple as hell, but that's the only other thing I can think of. Guess that's what I get for being a freshman.
That's cool how you totally ignore my post though

Do you hate me for some reason or something? I've always gotten a cold feeling from you and I can't guess why other than you're an ass...tell me I'm wrong

[Modified by Tornado Wolfie, 9:12 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Re: Dammit! My rear defroster stopped working on the worst day ever (Tornado Wolfie)

hahahaha, you got snow...

·
Banned
4,337 Posts

Nice to hear you're uhh...nice

I'm personally thinkin of staying a few more years for a degree in ME as well as EE since my school is paid for by nice people that don't ask for anything in return.
I'm still thinking it's your ground connnection. If everything across the entire grid checks out, then there's only that left. Other than that you're getting into the paranormal and we don't need posessed dubs any more than we need some eletron shock therapy.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]
With the rear defroster switch on I get 13.4 V at the input wire on the left side of the rear widow, this is the wire from the fusebox so I know there is no break there now. At the output wire on the right side of the rear window I get about 0.5 V, this is the wire that goes to a ground on the chasis.
[HR][/HR]​

Okay.. I'm no EE graduate.. but.. oh wait, yeah I am!

From the sounds of this paragraph,... you have 13.5 volts on the drivers side of the back window.. and on the pass side.. you have ground (a bad ground.. but a ground none the less..
That is fine.. there is power to yr back window..
quote:[HR][/HR]If I measure the voltage on any of the grid lines between these two wires I get decreasing voltage readings from left to right. I am assuming that is due to the resistance of the grid line I was probing. It must be like resistors in series only its so much resistance per unit length of wire in the case of the defroster grid I guess......I wonder how that affects the temp of the grid lines; does the right get hotter than the left? Anyways, thats beside the point....
[HR][/HR]​
the first sentence of this paragraph sounds fine.. too..
I'm not seeing yr problem.. if you have power to the grid..
and the voltage drops as you read across the grid
then yr read deforoster works.
the left side will not get hotter than the right..
its not the voltage that causes the lines to warm.. its the fact that its a current flowing through a very resistive strip of copper..
the current is divided equally into all 10 or so lines.. and flows uniformly across the window.
quote:[HR][/HR]If I unhook the right side wire on the grid that leads to ground and measure the voltage anywhere on the grid I get 13.4 V everywhere....I guess that makes sense too.[HR][/HR]​
yep.. thats exactly how it should be
quote:[HR][/HR]What could be wrong with the rear defroster ? [HR][/HR]​
You're expecting too much of it?

I know that mine is retty damn slow to warm.. when its covered in snow and ice it barely does anything...

·
Registered
4,893 Posts

Dude, thats fuched.. everything you describe sounds like it is in perfect working order.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts