VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
only 15,500 miles on the car!
car feels fine...does this give me a good reason to buy a vag-com since i was thinking of getting one anyway?
can i clear the code with the vag-com?
should i check for loose connections with the exhaust..i remember reading somewhere a cel came on for someone who's cat was installed backwards.
a shop installed it for me so going underneath and checking the exhaust system would be new for me.
could be the maf?...how can i know for sure without a vag-com?
going to the dealer would be out of the question!
if i dont find the problem should i just ignore the cel light and pretend everything is alright?

·
Banned
1,560 Posts
Re: damn cel comes on 1 week after my dp, cat install! (greekjetta29)

Yes you can clear the CEL with a VAG-COM. No there is no way to be sure what the code is without a VAG-COM or a dealer VAG-1552. In other words, buy a VAG-COM!

My guess would be the mechanic installed the 02 sensors wrong. Maybe they switched them and put the first one after and the CAT and vice versa...

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Re: damn cel comes on 1 week after my dp, cat install! (A-Money)

I just got my first real cel after 21k and recently putting on the dp/hf cat combo..it was my MAF. Yeah, if you don't know anyone in the area with one and you've modded your car and you already have a laptop, I would say it's well worth it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Re: damn cel comes on 1 week after my dp, cat install! (mrejda)

Ive had a CEL on my bug for like 10000 miles heh. Checked it with the VAG and still get the same code every time incorrect air flow.

·
Registered
31,002 Posts

Check and see that you have a sensor infront of the cat...and one behind it.
The wiring lengths and connectors are designed to be un-eff-up-able. If you put the downstream one upstream, the upstream one would not have enough wire to reach it's "incorrect" place.
But check them to see if there are cuts in the housing.
You can clear it w/a VAG

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: damn cel comes on 1 week after my dp, cat install! (jim wilson)

thanks for the input guys...im gonna check that 02 sensor because for a few days after the installation i smelled something like burning rubber when i got out of the car...
if thats the case i guess i can hold the muffler shop responsible?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]only 15,500 miles on the car!
car feels fine...does this give me a good reason to buy a vag-com since i was thinking of getting one anyway?
can i clear the code with the vag-com?
should i check for loose connections with the exhaust..i remember reading somewhere a cel came on for someone who's cat was installed backwards.[HR][/HR]​
Yup, the backwards cat was ME. Make sure the o2 sensor is after the cat, like others have said, and the VAG-COM will clear it. boostedvdub cleared it for me, and I had the cat switched and the CEL hasnt come back on in 4 days. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.