VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
993 C2, MK4 GTI, MK7.5 R
8,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure. They're coming up for replacement in 5-10,000km anyway. I've also got two OEM tyres sitting in the garage as spares already.
I might just repair this one and keep it on the car.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Well, it's cheap, something like $15 or $20, and it does seem to work. Although I guess it does compromise the tyre to an extent.
Lousy knobjockeys putting nails under car tyres in carparks and stuff.

·
Registered
14,451 Posts
Re: (BlahBoy)

I remember back in my Mk1 days driving along Tuggeranong Pkway in ACT and hearing tinkling on the road in front of the car. Some clown had hoiked a handful of nails on the road in front of the car, and I picked up about 5 of them. No puncture though....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Re: (Stevemk2gti)

Never, I repeat never park near a building or construction site, your just asking for trouble.
Unfortunately it was the only spot available & I ended up getting 2 long nails + 1 self tapping screw in my front left.

Modified by AAG at 10:35 PM 5-31-2004

·
Registered
993 C2, MK4 GTI, MK7.5 R
8,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (AAG)

How money is this?

I also went hunting for BBS Badges, but couldn't find anything. . .

I hope they don't turn out to be like my "RECARO" seats. Cheap #$%^$

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
Heidi was "screwed" the other day. Self tapper in the rear left. Tyre went flat. The Merc roadside assitance guy came and fixed it on site/on car - was there in 20mins.

·
Registered
30,932 Posts
Re: (Sloth)

Quote, originally posted by Sloth »
Heidi was "screwed" the other day. Self tapper in the rear left. Tyre went flat. The Merc roadside assitance guy came and fixed it on site/on car - was there in 20mins.

No wonder McLaren's going no good ... a tyre change should only take about 7 seconds, but 20 minutes!

·
Registered
30,932 Posts
Re: (YellowDieselGolf)

Quote, originally posted by YellowDieselGolf »
I'm not sure. They're coming up for replacement in 5-10,000km anyway. I've also got two OEM tyres sitting in the garage as spares already.
I might just repair this one and keep it on the car.

I've had a couple of tyres repaired after similar incidents to yours Pete and they've been fine. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
hehe
too funny !
The techo actually fixed it while the wheel stayed on the car. Didn't have to baptised the stingy space saver spare.

·
Registered
14,451 Posts

Um, is that a space saver? If so I thought you could only use them on the back wheels because they have a smaller diameter than the stocks, and so can cause damage to the gearbox. Anyone varify this?

·
Registered
993 C2, MK4 GTI, MK7.5 R
8,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nah, it's an OEM tyre on a 16" steel rim.
Space savers may be an issue for other cars though.

·
Registered
14,451 Posts

Do Mk4s come with standard size spares? Both the GTI and the Vento come with space savers.... i think I would prefer the savers cos standards take away a bit of boot space...

·
Registered
993 C2, MK4 GTI, MK7.5 R
8,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes they do Steve. A toolkit fits in the centre of the rim, to minimise the wasted space.
My MK1 has a full sized spare too. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 22 Posts