VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a bit of advice.......
I have just discovered that the sump on my Bora is stuffed again, (this is the 5th one in as many years) and i do not want to fork out the $$$ for another, doeas anyone know of a remedy/patch that can cover the hair line fracture in my f#@*ing sump, before you all ask my car is used for country travel and spends a lot of its time on corrugated dirt/gravel roads, looks as though i might be in the market for a Tourag or Allroad

·
Registered
786 Posts
Re: Damn sump............ (Bora4Motion)

Is the sump an alloy...i.e. non ferrous? If so then the sump can be permanently repaired. I have seen a demonstration of a hand held gas bottle for heat and "aluminium alloy" welding technique that any handyman is capable of. I will post details if you are interested.
If the sump is steel...weld it using oxy.
Quick on-road emergency fix for a crack
(settle!) is to drain oil into a container clean it down and use an oil resistant quick setting silicone sealant (like gasket goo) let it dry and replace the oil. Oil in the sump is not pressurised so this kind of fix should not leak (ie it will get you to the next town).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Re: Damn sump............ (Stifflers Mom)

Bora4Mo, i know how you feel.
Degrease sump and then rough up sump with a wire brush, apply a product called "Devcon Fasmetal" (Aluminium filled apoxy for bonding/patching aluminium) works a treat.
Do a google search and i am sure you will find a reseller who stocks it somewhere near you http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
T-nuc

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Re: Damn sump............ (59Bugto05Golf)

Quote, originally posted by 59Bugto05Golf »
Is the sump an alloy...i.e. non ferrous? If so then the sump can be permanently repaired. I have seen a demonstration of a hand held gas bottle for heat and "aluminium alloy" welding technique that any handyman is capable of. I will post details if you are interested.
If the sump is steel...weld it using oxy.
Quick on-road emergency fix for a crack
(settle!) is to drain oil into a container clean it down and use an oil resistant quick setting silicone sealant (like gasket goo) let it dry and replace the oil. Oil in the sump is not pressurised so this kind of fix should not leak (ie it will get you to the next town).

I have the Aluminum welding rods you speak of... The problem is they are not that easy to use.
I might have to get a alum sump of seb to practice on!

·
Registered
4,386 Posts

lol you discovered the problem I had with my Bora 4motion
It freaks me out everytime I travel on a typical country road. Build a metal plate under it

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Re: Damn sump............ (prana)

The sumps are too thin and brittle to weld properly, we tried. Fit replacement sump and buy either the genuine VW steel sump guard from you local dealer, it IS available here as I found the price and part numbers a few years ago, or the Diesel geek unit from America.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Sorry to hear of your sump problem. My wife drove our car a bit too fast through a dip and bottomed out...
Turns out she ripped the undertray out as well as the driver side front wheel arch lining. She drove over the lot of them, and then stopped to remove them from under the car as it was dragging (she thought she'd run over someone elses stuff). Anyway, she got home said she had runover something. I noticed the front mudflap looking sideways, then realised no lining in front wheel arch - i can see into the engine bay. So I tell her to go get it, as it was OURS!
Then as she pulls out, there's a big pool of engine oil... She's smashed a big crack in the sump.
GRRRRR. Cost me $550 to get the lot repaired - my mechanic ended up welding and repairing the liner and tray.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.