VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to swap my suspension yesterday, and realized that I couldn't get that clamp at the bottom of the front strut apart without a) much effort or b) vw's special tool #3424. Anyone have this tool that I could borrow? We're gonna try to do the front on Tuesday I think. Thanks.
On a better note, we did get the backs done and the rear strut bar installed.
Tim

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Re: Damn VW and their "Special Tools" (tulmad)

You don't need a special tool - just find an allen key that fits snugly in the gap and then twist it until the ridges are priseing the clamp apart. Having battled w/3 installs and multiple sizes of chisels I finally figured out this trick on the last one. Come to think of it I think a 1/4" drive may do the trick also. IM me if you have any questions'
Rex

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Re: Damn VW and their "Special Tools" (Crayola)

quote:[HR][/HR]Engineuity my dear is the tool required to work on VW's.
[HR][/HR]​
Haha!
Excellently put!http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Damn VW and their "Special Tools" (Crayola)

[HR][/HR]​
Lol. You shoulda seen the variety of tools I had spread out around me while trying to get that damn thing apart.

·
Banned
3,170 Posts

Yea VW tools are frustrating, i was trying to do my rear brakes a while back.
Just got them done thursday. Got a friend who works for VW. Now the look and feel great.

·
Registered
254 Posts

I have found that http://www.samstagsales.com sells most VW specialty tools for excellent prices. they carry all the good German tool names and have most of the special tools in stock. they'll even send you a crazy catologue with more tools than anyone would ever need in it.
By the way, if you think the VW special tools are a pain in the butt, try working on a superbike, like Ducati or even Kawasaki. Little motors that have way too many parts way too close to each other.

·
Registered
833 Posts

Lol. You shoulda seen the variety of tools I had spread out around me while trying to get that damn thing apart.[HR][/HR]​
I almost never have the 'tool I need' when I work on the car.
What ever we do to her isn't simple.
Changing the oil. Supposed to be a 10mm from what I remember.
I needed to go to the office & dig through their tools & I only found too big or too small. Autozone let me borrow all the sizes inbetween & it turned out to be a 3/4 inch.
Nothing is easy on that car. She can be difficult sometimes, wonder where she got it from?

BTW.... I found a fun place for tools if you need them cheap in a pinch.
Harbor Freight Tools on Val Vista? & Southern. Spring compressors for 10$ (the day after we needed them)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Re: Damn VW and their "Special Tools" (1.8T Grocery Getter)

Is there a special tool to change a thermostat on a VR6 engine? I couldn't find a manual and didn't have the time to figure out how to do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.